cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdegr Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

in selector json what is the 't' attribute

"{"selector":"{\"data\":[\"{\\\"comp\\\":{\\\"k\\\":0,\\\"l\\\":{\\\"col\\\":{\\\"s\\\":{\\\"e\\\":\\\"qtEmergencyRecords\\\"},\\\"r\\\":\\\"Year\\\"}},\\\"r\\\":{\\\"const\\\":{\\\"t\\\":4,\\\"v\\\":2017}}}}\"]}","highlight":false}"

"{"selector":"{\"data\":[\"{\\\"comp\\\":{\\\"k\\\":0,\\\"l\\\":{\\\"col\\\":{\\\"s\\\":{\\\"e\\\":\\\"qtFacility\\\"},\\\"r\\\":\\\"Facility County\\\"}},\\\"r\\\":{\\\"const\\\":{\\\"t\\\":1,\\\"v\\\":\\\"Baker\\\"}}}}\"]}","highlight":false}"

Seems like some sort of type code but doesn't match anything I see in metadata.  Please advise.  I am trying to build a filter that lets me select table/column, then value, but the generated selectors build filters across all the columns I've added to the control. so I'd like to build simple filters as above manually.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jppp
Advisor

Re: in selector json what is the 't' attribute

Hi @rdegr,

I had a similar request andwas able to solve it in the following was:

1. I create an array of custom identities, in this case it uses the category as text, but that can be changed to SQExprBuilder.number if needed.

let categoryIdentities = categories.map((category) => {
    let sqlExpr = powerbi["data"].SQExprBuilder.equal(dataView.metadata.columns[0].expr, powerbi["data"].SQExprBuilder.text(category));
    return powerbi["data"].createDataViewScopeIdentity(sqlExpr);
});

# ref: https://github.com/liprec/powerbi-boxWhiskerChart/blob/89179879a7209b030245fd05c317eee2034db394/src/boxWhiskerChart.ts#L260

2. When I loop thru the individual catagories (=i variable)I use the following code to create the correct SelectionId identifier:

let selectionId = new SelectionId({ data: [ categoryIdentities[i] ] }, false);

# ref: https://github.com/liprec/powerbi-boxWhiskerChart/blob/89179879a7209b030245fd05c317eee2034db394/src/boxWhiskerChart.ts#L282

I added links to my solution for more reference and hope this can also work for your visual.

-JP

16 REPLIES 16
Moderator v-viig

What is expected behavior for filtering?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

rdegr Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I want to first select a column from a dropdown list of the columns added to the control in edit mode, then select values from that column- I have that much working- then filter on the selected values for the selected column only.  The problem is that once I have multiple columns and switch between them the code generates filters that filter across multiple columns so I want to build my own filter string or otherwise only filter the selected column.  Here is my selection method

public setSelectedByValues() {
            let arr:any[] = [];

for (let i = 0; i < this.dropdownByValues.selectedOptions.length; i++) {
                arr.push(this.selectionIds[this.dropdownByValues.selectedOptions[i].value+'']);
            }

this.selectionManager.clear().then(()=> {
                this.selectionManager.select(arr, false).then((ids: ISelectionId[])=> {
                    debugger;
                    this.selectionManager.applySelectionFilter();
                });
            });

}

and this.selectionIds populated as follows:

let cat = this.dataView.categorical.categories[index-1];

cat.values.forEach((val:any, valIndex:number) => {

if (!hash[val+'']) {
                            hash[val+''] = true;

let optV:HTMLOptionElement = document.createElement("option");
                            optV.text = val;
                            optV.value = val;

this.dropdownByValues.options.add(optV);

this.selectionIds[val+''] = this.host.createSelectionIdBuilder()
                                .withCategory(cat, valIndex)
                                .createSelectionId();
                        }
                    });

I think the real issue may be in this code. Here is an example of a selector where all I want is to filter on year but I also get facility.

{"selector":"{\"data\":[\"{\\\"and\\\":{\\\"l\\\":{\\\"comp\\\":{\\\"k\\\":0,\\\"l\\\":{\\\"col\\\":{\\\"s\\\":{\\\"e\\\":\\\"qtEmergencyRecords\\\"},\\\"r\\\":\\\"Year\\\"}},\\\"r\\\":{\\\"const\\\":{\\\"t\\\":4,\\\"v\\\":2017}}}},\\\"r\\\":{\\\"comp\\\":{\\\"k\\\":0,\\\"l\\\":{\\\"col\\\":{\\\"s\\\":{\\\"e\\\":\\\"qtFacility\\\"},\\\"r\\\":\\\"Facility County\\\"}},\\\"r\\\":{\\\"const\\\":{\\\"t\\\":1,\\\"v\\\":\\\"Alachua\\\"}}}}}}\"]}

rdegr Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

When I manually build "selector" strings identical to the ones I get if I only have a single column added to the control, then I get 

Uncaught TypeError: e.hasIdentity is not a function

at

this.selectionManager.select(arr, false)

rdegr Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Trying to build the whole selector object, but don't know what the classes are and still get the same error.

if (!hash[val+'']) {
                            hash[val+''] = true;

optV.text = val;
                            optV.value = val;

// this.selectionIds[val+''] = this.host.createSelectionIdBuilder()
                            //     .withCategory(cat, valIndex)
                            //     .createSelectionId();

var expr:any = cat.source.expr;
                            var typ:any = cat.source.type;
                            var typVal = (typ.primitiveType == 1 ? "\"" + val + "\"" : val);
                            var dm:string = expr.source.entity + "." + expr.ref;

var obj:any = {
                                expr: {
                                    comparison: 0,
                                    kind: 13,
                                    left: { kind: 2, ref: expr.ref, source: expr.source },
                                    right: { kind:17, type: typ, value: typVal }
                                },
                                key: "{\"comp\":{\"k\":0,\"l\":{\"col\":{\"s\":{\"e\":\"" + expr.source.entity + "\"},\"r\":\"" + expr.ref + "\"}},\"r\":{\"const\":{\"t\":" + typ.primitiveType + ",\"v\":" + typVal + "}}}}",
                                kind: 1  
                            };

this.selectionIds[val+''] = {
                                highlight: false,
                                key: "{\"selector\":\"{\\\"data\\\":[\\\"{\\\\\\\"comp\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"k\\\\\\\":0,\\\\\\\"l\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"col\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"s\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"e\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"" + expr.source.entity + "\\\\\\\"},\\\\\\\"r\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"" + expr.ref + "\\\\\\\"}},\\\\\\\"r\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"const\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"t\\\\\\\":" + typ.primitiveType + ",\\\\\\\"v\\\\\\\":" + typVal + "}}}}\\\"]}\",\"highlight\":false}",
                                keyWithoutHighlight: "{\"selector\":\"{\\\"data\\\":[\\\"{\\\\\\\"comp\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"k\\\\\\\":0,\\\\\\\"l\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"col\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"s\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"e\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"" + expr.source.entity + "\\\\\\\"},\\\\\\\"r\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"" + expr.ref + "\\\\\\\"}},\\\\\\\"r\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"const\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"t\\\\\\\":" + typ.primitiveType + ",\\\\\\\"v\\\\\\\":" + typVal + "}}}}\\\"]}\"}",
                                selector: {
                                    data: [{
                                        obj
                                    }]
                                },
                                selectorsByColumn: {
                                    dataMap: {
                                    }
                                }
                            };

this.selectionIds[val+''].selectorsByColumn.dataMap[dm] = obj;
                        }
                    });

rdegr Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

OK, after much tracing through the code I am beginning to make some progress. The missing piece of my object construction was encoded values.  Unfortunately, what I find in https://github.com/deldersveld/PowerBI-visuals/blob/master/src/Clients/VisualsData/semanticQuery/pri... suggests I need to distinguish between "decimal" and "double" numeric types and nothing in the category source type makes that distinction.  I could very much use a mapping for the category.source.type.underlyingType values but I have not found it yet. 

if (cat.source.type.integer) {
                                obj.expr.right.valueEncoded = val + "L";
                            }
                            else if (cat.source.type.numeric) {
                                obj.expr.right.valueEncoded = val + "D"; // TODO decimal v double
                            }
                            else if (cat.source.type.text)
                            {
                                obj.expr.right.valueEncoded = "'" + val.replace("'", "''") + "'";
                            }
                            else
                            {
                                obj.expr.right.valueEncoded = typVal;
                            }

Complete construction that now gives desired behavior for one integer and one text column. Desired behavior being to ignore any other column but the selected column.

if (!hash[val+'']) {
                            hash[val+''] = true;

optV.text = val;
                            optV.value = val;

// this.selectionIds[val+''] = this.host.createSelectionIdBuilder()
                            //     .withCategory(cat, valIndex)
                            //     .createSelectionId();

let expr:any = cat.source.expr;
                            let typ:any = cat.source.type;
                            let typVal = (typ.primitiveType == 1 ? "\"" + val + "\"" : val);
                            let dm:string = expr.source.entity + "." + expr.ref;

expr.source.accept = function(e,t) {
                                return e.visitEntity(expr.source, t);
                            }

let obj:any = {
                                expr: {
                                    comparison: 0,
                                    kind: 13,
                                    left: { kind: 2, ref: expr.ref, source: expr.source, accept(e,t) { return e.visitColumnRef(obj.expr.left, t); } },
                                    right: { kind:17, type: typ, value: typVal, accept(e,t) { return e.visitConstant(obj.expr.right, t); } },
                                    accept(e,t) {
                                        return e.visitAnd(obj.expr, t);
                                    }
                                },
                                key: "{\"comp\":{\"k\":0,\"l\":{\"col\":{\"s\":{\"e\":\"" + expr.source.entity + "\"},\"r\":\"" + expr.ref + "\"}},\"r\":{\"const\":{\"t\":" + typ.primitiveType + ",\"v\":" + typVal + "}}}}",
                                kind: 1
                            };

if (cat.source.type.integer) {
                                obj.expr.right.valueEncoded = val + "L";
                            }
                            else if (cat.source.type.numeric) {
                                obj.expr.right.valueEncoded = val + "D"; // TODO decimal v double
                            }
                            else if (cat.source.type.text)
                            {
                                obj.expr.right.valueEncoded = "'" + val.replace("'", "''") + "'";
                            }
                            else
                            {
                                obj.expr.right.valueEncoded = typVal;
                            }

let selectorObj = {
                                highlight: false,
                                key: "{\"selector\":\"{\\\"data\\\":[\\\"{\\\\\\\"comp\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"k\\\\\\\":0,\\\\\\\"l\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"col\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"s\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"e\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"" + expr.source.entity + "\\\\\\\"},\\\\\\\"r\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"" + expr.ref + "\\\\\\\"}},\\\\\\\"r\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"const\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"t\\\\\\\":" + typ.primitiveType + ",\\\\\\\"v\\\\\\\":" + typVal + "}}}}\\\"]}\",\"highlight\":false}",
                                keyWithoutHighlight: "{\"selector\":\"{\\\"data\\\":[\\\"{\\\\\\\"comp\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"k\\\\\\\":0,\\\\\\\"l\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"col\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"s\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"e\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"" + expr.source.entity + "\\\\\\\"},\\\\\\\"r\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"" + expr.ref + "\\\\\\\"}},\\\\\\\"r\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"const\\\\\\\":{\\\\\\\"t\\\\\\\":" + typ.primitiveType + ",\\\\\\\"v\\\\\\\":" + typVal + "}}}}\\\"]}\"}",
                                selector: {
                                    data: []
                                },
                                selectorsByColumn: {
                                    dataMap: {
                                    }
                                },
                                getKey() {
                                    return selectorObj.key;
                                },
                                getKeyWithoutHighlight() {
                                    return selectorObj.keyWithoutHighlight;
                                },
                                getSelector() {
                                    return selectorObj.selector;
                                },
                                getSelectorsByColumn() {
                                    return selectorObj.selectorsByColumn;
                                },
                                hasIdentity() {
                                    return true;
                                }
                            };

selectorObj.selectorsByColumn.dataMap[dm] = obj;
                            selectorObj.selector.data[0] = obj;

this.selectionIds[val+''] = selectorObj;
                        }
                    });
jppp
Advisor

Hi @rdegr,

I had a similar request andwas able to solve it in the following was:

1. I create an array of custom identities, in this case it uses the category as text, but that can be changed to SQExprBuilder.number if needed.

let categoryIdentities = categories.map((category) => {
    let sqlExpr = powerbi["data"].SQExprBuilder.equal(dataView.metadata.columns[0].expr, powerbi["data"].SQExprBuilder.text(category));
    return powerbi["data"].createDataViewScopeIdentity(sqlExpr);
});

# ref: https://github.com/liprec/powerbi-boxWhiskerChart/blob/89179879a7209b030245fd05c317eee2034db394/src/boxWhiskerChart.ts#L260

2. When I loop thru the individual catagories (=i variable)I use the following code to create the correct SelectionId identifier:

let selectionId = new SelectionId({ data: [ categoryIdentities[i] ] }, false);

# ref: https://github.com/liprec/powerbi-boxWhiskerChart/blob/89179879a7209b030245fd05c317eee2034db394/src/boxWhiskerChart.ts#L282

I added links to my solution for more reference and hope this can also work for your visual.

-JP

rdegr Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Very cool.  I will try this out.  My way still has an issue of recordsets growing as more columns are added (something trying to cross-reference) which this may work around.

rdegr Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Does not solve the cross-reference issue but does replace some ugly handrolled selector code of mine.  Thanks!

jppp
Advisor

As far as I know you can add extra columns to the `sqlExpr` variable and combine them with `powerbi["data"].SQExprBuilder.and` method.

There is no need to construct this kind of filters/selectors by yourself as all the needed methods of `SQExprBuiler` are exposed to be used with a Custom Visual. Take a look at the repository of the old Power BI visuals: https://github.com/avontd2868/PowerBI-visuals/tree/master/src/Clients/Data/semanticQuery for more details.

-JP