Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jagostinhoCT
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Word cloud visual how to use the Exclude feature?

Found the Word Cloud visual which was exactly what I need.

But I am failing to understand how to use the Exclude field.

Anyone knows how it works?

I am guessing it would be a way to add a DataSource with Stop Words?

WordCloud - Exclude Field.png

32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I had the exact same problem with 1500+ Articles and 600 Stop Words. It turned out, that my Article-column had duplicate entries that woulnd't allow for a join. Maybe this helps in your case too.

jsdanie1
Frequent Visitor

Has anybody actually gotten this to work? I'm having the same issue with exclude feature. The exclude feature isnt really working as it really should be. I created a Excluded Words Table list, not able to map it as (1:1). Keep getting "The cardinality you selected isn't valid for this relationship.

Trying to map it to a comments text field. Don't really want to have to type out 100+ Stop Words. 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Two tables must have relatioship by common column. You might add ID column to match tables.

Otherwise, Power BI will reject such tables.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

That seemed to help better and actually get some of it working now. Thank You. Do you know why it would still be showing words even though I've exclude it. I'm noticing some words get excluded, and some arn't. It appears to be comments where the word is used multiple times in the sentenced that arn't being excluded. 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you share a Power BI Report to reproduce the issue?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Attach is the link to the file. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak-gR66cp9H5gYsqMed68G1s1_vzQQ

Should be publically viewable. Let me know what you think. Thanks for all the help. Overview of what i'm trying to do. We are basically using the Word tag to grab comments customers make from a survey. We would like to see trending words of adjectives or branding related words customers are saying about our company and elminate some of the unimportant words in the dictionary.  

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Have you tried to remove a column from Values data field and turn on Show Items with no data for other columns (Category and Excludes) ?

image.png

Let me know if it fixes the issue.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thanks for your answer. I've tried what you suggested but still can't get it right . I removed the column from values and turn on the "Show Items with no data" for the other columns.  I still have the words that suppose to be excluded.

Anything else that I am doing wrong?

2018-10-01_08-52-22.jpg

I do not think so. I'll create a bug in our backlog to fix it.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

I am having exactly the same issue. I'm using a Direct Query with one fact table and aonther XLS file with the stop words. I create an index and a relationship between both tables but still not excluding the words in my visual. 

Could you please help me out to understand this issue?

2018-09-28_09-26-55.jpg 

Assis Jadue

jsdanie1
Frequent Visitor

Has anybody actually gotten this to work? I'm having the same issue with exclude feature. The exclude feature isnt really working as it really should be. I created a Excluded Words Table list, not able to map it as (1:1). Keep getting "The cardinality you selected isn't valid for this relationship.

Trying to map it to a comments text field. Don't really want to have to type out 100+ Stop Words. 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @jagostinhoCT

You are correct. The data-set should containt a column with stop words in order to use Exlude feature of Word Cloud.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

I am trying to use another Datasource (XLS file w/ column of Stop words) but it then breaks the visual.

Are you trying to use another data table? What error do you get?

Pleaes note that stop words must in the same table along with data. As an another option, you can specify the relationship for two tables.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

I am using a different table. In fact, using a different XLS file just with a column called "StopWords". This way I thought that I could use the same datasource in multiple PBIX where I have the WordCloud visual. In case I wanted to add a Stop Word I would just edit it so that it would update in all reports.

But from you are saying, my understanding is that I will need to have a Key Column so to establish a relationship with other tables? My other tables content can vary a little. Any suggestions on how I might be doing that successfully?

Thank you

Yes, your understanding is correct. You have to include a special Key Column to make the relatiionship.

Another option is to use "Words" field to fill stop words (you can find this option at Format Panel -> Stop Words).

Please note that you should use the space as a separator for words.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thank you @v-viig.

Even though I got the concept correct, I am still unclear on how to setup the Key Column.

Let's say that I use something like the JobIDCode which I already have in my other datasources.

I ad a JobIDCode to my StopWords file but how would it look like?

Always the same JobIDCode in each row?

Single row with one JobIDCode (which one?) and a cell w/ all the StopWords?

There is no example for this in the sample file. Would it be possible to send me an example PBIX?

Please take a look at this sample report that represents the usage of Excludes data-field.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

@v-viig, that did the trick for me also, but it's not obvious and there are no clear instructions when downloading the visual.  I have just left a review on AppSource saying how clunky it is and whilst your answer may add a star to my rating I still hold that it's not intuitive - it would be much better just to add a list of words stright to the Excludes field without extra index fields and a relationship being needed. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-viig , thanks for the trick which works well in my case.
However one drawback remains : I cannot use the other filters I am using in my report as when triggered some of my exclusion words are then not taken into account anymore in the word cloud viz. Any suggestions on this issue ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors