Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SatyaVaitla
Helper I
Helper I

Where to map Unit of Measurement for non financial KPIs in Power KPI Matrix?

In power KPI matrix, for financial measures, the $ symbol is associated in the sample. For non financial measures like the Number of Active Customers, where to associate the Unit of Measurement (UOM) which is Numbers (or NO in short)? Similarly if my sales Quantity is in Numbers or in Tonnes where to associate these measures with the KPI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Power KPI Matrix initialy takes data format from the data-set.

However Power BI Desktop doesn't support csutom value format.

That means you have to specify format for each instance of Power KPI Matrix.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Value format can be changed at Format Panel by changing the format field.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Here we are not talking about formatting. We are talking about Unit of Measurement. UOM is not always $. It can be Numbers, Tonnes or KGs etc that will come from a separate field in addition to the basic measure (which is represented in number). For example 3000 is the measure and its UOM is $. Now replace $ with other UOMs. This is an attribute to the measure and should come from the data base field.

One example is for a logistics company, the KPI is Number of Miles per Gallon of Gas. Just displaying the number is not enough and UOM is not part of my KPI. For this my KPI title is Fuel Effeciency.

Unit of Measurement can be specified via Format option of Power KPI Matrix.

image.png

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thanks. This is the way i want to see my UOM.

But the fact is the UOM is available in the database. Other wise there is no meaning for that number in the database. But now we need to tell the same thing again in KPI Matrix for every KPI. Also KPI matrix is not enterprise class and i need to do this for every employee KPI matrix of the organisation.

If this can be mapped to a field (column) in the data base, all this work will disappear. Also one source of data is one truth. My database may be in KGs and I may format it to Tonnes in KPI Matrix. UOM is Master Data of the orgnaisation and should not be changed by each individual for his own scoreccard.

So my recommendation - this should come from database

Power KPI Matrix initialy takes data format from the data-set.

However Power BI Desktop doesn't support csutom value format.

That means you have to specify format for each instance of Power KPI Matrix.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

This is more than just a KPI issue, this is really a general formatting problem for Power BI.

The way Power BI formats all financial values based on the viewer's locale is nonsense, especially when working in a multi-currency system. Here again it would be better to reference a field in the database that holds the currency code.

Hopefully this is an area that the Visuals team can investigate.

Chris

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you talking about an ability to specify a format a different column in the backend?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

No - If you think of only formatting.

Chris answer for this is perfect.

If you mean UOM will be fetched from different field (column), then your understanding is right.

If I'm not mistaken, you'd like to have an ability to get formatting for each value of one column from another column?

Is that correct?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Hi @v-viig,

Certainly for currencies, as the current way of using the viewer's local is clearly wrong for a multi-currency system. Currencies may be a separate problem as the number of decimal places to display can depend upon the currency.

It also makes sense for other measurable units, although you could argue that the ability to use a column value in the visualization title text would suffice here.

Chris

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like a new feature for Power BI.

Please create a new idea here instead.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

I think I just simply need additional column for UOM here in power KPI matrix...not all business audiences will easily understand

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors