Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dm-p
Super User
Super User

What's the "Upgrade Path" for a Custom Visual?

I'm just fixing some bugs in a custom visual I've written and works fine using the developer tool in the service.

However, when I package and import the new version in either the dekstop or the service, I get asked if I want to upgrade my visual and this seems to work, but then nothing actually changes for any instances using the custom visual in the report.

I couldn't find any documentation on this, but here's my assumptions on what needs to happen with my pbiviz.json:

• Update version (have updated from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1)
  • guid needs to remain the same (if I change this then I understandably get two instances of my visual in the palette)

The only way I can see my changes is to forcibly delete the visual from the palette and re-import it, which will destroy any visual instances in the report, and doesn't really seem to be a suitable experience for end-users. I've also tried cut/pasting just to see if that works but it seems not.

Is there something else I need to do in order to get this to update any existing visual instances? Is there some kind of cache or event that we need to manage in our visual code?

Not sure if it helps, but I'm using Desktop 2.64.5285.741

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Correct. If visual is in Marketplace it will be loaded from our CDN since it's much faster for end users.

To test new change you can change GUID and revert it back before publication to marketplace.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AakashMarasini
Frequent Visitor

@dm-p @v-viig 

Thank you in advance!
I have gone through the previous comments but couldnot understand.

I have developed my custom visual and tested it locally in Power BI Desktop.

Firstly, I updated the pbiviz version from 1.0.0 to 1.0.0.1 without changing the GUID. However, when I attempted to use the new version's pbiviz, I had to remove the data labels associated with the previous pbiviz forcibly and then add them again in order to have the visual with the new pbiviz.

Secondly, incrementing the GUID resulted in having two instances of the two pbiviz in the visual pane.

How can i updated my new pbiviz with existance of previous visual instant?

Best Regards,
Aakash

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Apologies for the double-post but I may have figured this out. Would be good if the team could confirm my thoughts though?

As the visual is currently in the marketplace, it looks like if I keep the guid the same, Desktop or the service will poll the CDN for a visual matching that guid and just use that regardless of version in the file being uploaded?

If so, and I want to test locally, then the steps will be to temporarily assign a new guid, package and verify?

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Correct. If visual is in Marketplace it will be loaded from our CDN since it's much faster for end users.

To test new change you can change GUID and revert it back before publication to marketplace.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Awesome - thanks very much, @v-viig!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors