Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

spandl
Helper I
Helper I

Update custom visual to a new version

Hello,

I just have build a new version of a custom visual (v1.0.0.3).

Then I went into Power BI desktop, imported the exported file. PBI asks me if I want to update the visual from v1.0.0.2 to the newer version, I agree and get the confirmation.

However, if I then look at the version, it still says version 1.0.0.2 with AppSource as the source.

How can I overwrite my file to use the local copy. I need to update the sample report to publish the new version to AppSource. Now I am kind of caught in a loop...

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @spandl,

If you're attempting to update your report ready for publication, you can use Developer mode to prevent loading of the visual from AppSource version for the current editing session, e.g.:

dmp_0-1679949830387.png

You will get an additional prompt when importing a .pbiviz that has an earlier version in AppSource, e.g.:

dmp_1-1679949928159.png

Choose Import local file and this will load the version from the .pbiviz.

Note that:

• This setting will revert when the file is closed and you will need to manually re-enable it each time you need it.
  • If you're already on a page with the visual loaded, this will be using the version that was active prior to import. You will need to navigate away from the page and back (to re-initialise the constructor) if you aren't adding a new instance of the visual to the page.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
spandl
Helper I
Helper I

Ah, perfect. This is what I was looking for. 

Thanks!

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @spandl,

If you're attempting to update your report ready for publication, you can use Developer mode to prevent loading of the visual from AppSource version for the current editing session, e.g.:

dmp_0-1679949830387.png

You will get an additional prompt when importing a .pbiviz that has an earlier version in AppSource, e.g.:

dmp_1-1679949928159.png

Choose Import local file and this will load the version from the .pbiviz.

Note that:

• This setting will revert when the file is closed and you will need to manually re-enable it each time you need it.
  • If you're already on a page with the visual loaded, this will be using the version that was active prior to import. You will need to navigate away from the page and back (to re-initialise the constructor) if you aren't adding a new instance of the visual to the page.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

spandl
Helper I
Helper I

Something must have changed in the process. I could update the viusal, without updating the report.

I think this will work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors