Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Chris99
Advocate III
Advocate III

Timeline Slicer Usability

The Timeline Slicer custom visual works quite well. However it is currently pretty much unusable due to its massive space requirements. At the moment one third of the vertical space on my report is taken up with the Timeline Slicer.

I don't know if anyone from the MS custom visuals team is here, but you need to run it past a usability expert. I am unable to leave a review in the store, so here is my feedback.

The problems are:

• The whitespace around the time periods means too much vertical space is used.
  • Stacking the time periods on top of each other is again very wasteful. A more intelligent layout is required, maybe putting month, quarter and year on the same line for example.
  • You are unable to reduce the font size below 8pt, which would be useful for certain elements.
  • The vertical and horizontal space taken up by the coloured timeline is too much.
  • It should be possible to configure the lowest level of the time heirarchy, ie to prevent drilling down to days.
  • It should be possible to configure the fiscal calendar to start on a shifting event, for example the second Monday in April.
  • It should be possible to toggle between regular and fiscal calendar whilst using the Timeline Slicer.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thank you for the feedback.

We'll consider all of points in upcoming versions.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Hi, my paratimeline slicer after click button RESET don't show last day of my date period. Any ideas why? please help. 

@v-viigThanks, but there are already ideas around the timeline slicer, and I don't want to fragment the votes. Can't this post just be marked an unsolved?

Anyway, the Power BI team don't seem that active on the ideas section, as there is no attempt to consolidate very similar ideas, popular and long-running ideas often get no feedback from Power BI team members, and sometimes items are marked as completed when the features released do not meet the initial idea.

Sorry if this sounds like a moan, but I just feel that in its current state the ideas pages often leave me feeling frustrated.

Cheers,

Chris

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

As far as I know, there's no way to unresolve the item. Our suggestion is to open a new idea.

We monitor ideas but we have limitted resources to implement all of them.

If idea was implemented in another way I suggest to comment the idea or open a new one.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Great to hear Smiley Happy

Cant wait!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors