02-12-2018 04:30 AM - edited 02-12-2018 05:55 AM
The Timeline Slicer custom visual works quite well. However it is currently pretty much unusable due to its massive space requirements. At the moment one third of the vertical space on my report is taken up with the Timeline Slicer.
I don't know if anyone from the MS custom visuals team is here, but you need to run it past a usability expert. I am unable to leave a review in the store, so here is my feedback.
The problems are:
- The whitespace around the time periods means too much vertical space is used.
- Stacking the time periods on top of each other is again very wasteful. A more intelligent layout is required, maybe putting month, quarter and year on the same line for example.
- You are unable to reduce the font size below 8pt, which would be useful for certain elements.
- The vertical and horizontal space taken up by the coloured timeline is too much.
- It should be possible to configure the lowest level of the time heirarchy, ie to prevent drilling down to days.
- It should be possible to configure the fiscal calendar to start on a shifting event, for example the second Monday in April.
- It should be possible to toggle between regular and fiscal calendar whilst using the Timeline Slicer.
Solved! Go to Solution.
02-14-2018 10:58 PM
All of requested improvements are in our backlog.
We'll update this topic once we finish some of improvements.
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
10-25-2018 01:45 PM - edited 10-25-2018 01:59 PM
+1 on getting the amount of page real estate used improved for this extremely useful slicer.
- Move the Range Header up to top of the visualization (aligned with the top of the slider)
- Display the Y/Q/M/W indicators on the horizontal plane instead of vertical
- Allow for a static size of cells
- Even better, allow the developer to set the cell size
- Allow customization of the slider Granularity level
- Instead of forcing Y/Q/M/W/D, allow developers to select which of these values to allow on the slider
- Allow for custom date range entry
- Ideally, allow a user to click on the first and/or last date and enter a custom value
01-24-2019 10:31 PM