Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jsh121988
Employee
Employee

Text Filter is limited to 1000 values exactly

The Text Filter visual only allows exactly 1000 values right now, otherwise it will throw an information box stating ‘Too many values’. Can this limit be increased to 5000, removed, or made configurable by the user?

Typically, I will impose my own limits via a measure that returns the count of values, and add it to the visual filters section.

Solutions (Most ideal to least ideal):

1. Remove the limit, and allow user to specify with a measure as a visual filter.

2. Make the limit configurable via the Visual Format pane. 

3. Increase the limit to 3000 or 5000.

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All Do we have alternative as still i can see, its filters only 1000 rows. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 1.2.1 is now on AppSource. I've just notice it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MiraNi  use this 
"dataReductionAlgorithm": {
"top": {
"count": 2000
}
}

the max limite is 30 000 datapoint see this link  Data Reduction Algorithm section at the end

Thanks for tip but how can I start using that algorithm? Where can I make changes for capabilities.json? I am not familiar with that yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MiraNi wrote:

Thanks for tip but how can I start using that algorithm? Where can I make changes for capabilities.json? I am not familiar with that yet.

The Data Reduction Algorithm goes into the datatviewmappings
in addition, you must refer to the fields on which the data reduction algorithm will apply. look at the picture below. Where I drew the blue line, is the name of the field on which the datareduction is going to be applied. if you still do not understant i invite you to look again at the examples here

help2.PNGCapture.PNG

Thank you for details but where and how can I find the file and open it to be able to edit it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MiraNi ,

when you create a visual using the powerbi-visuals-tools you should have a folder containing all the visual files Here is an example of how to create a visual. Just open the folder in Visual studio code or visual studio and there you should see the file capability Json and just click on it to open.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Text Filter is limited to 1000 data rows due to default Power BI limitation for custom visuals.
We'll discuss the possibility to increase the data limitation with engineering team.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Any update on this?

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Development team is considering this feature.

We'll update this topic once it's implemented.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

What about now ? Any update on this ?

I was wondering if we can avoid that issue by doing something different in the design of the filter or the way the final user interact with the report. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I asked developers regarding the issue.

As soon as they answer I will provide info here.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

The developers answered that they will increase the limit in the next release, however they didn't provide any ETA.

Usually, they deliver fixes and features quickly enough for they visuals, however we need to take in account also time for delivering to production server. So, I suppose it will take not less than a month.

You also have an option to fork the repo of the visual and add a key "dataReductionAlgorithm" in capabilities.json, change GUID and build a package to use it instead of visual form the store. More detailed info about the key you can find here

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Is there an idea about the row amount increase created in community, what I could follow to know, when it's ready for production?

Hello,

I don't see that the visual team sent any changes for publication. The didn't provide any ETA but I will ask them about the status again and will share info here.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

The visual team is going to publish changes at the end of this week, then it requires 2-3 weeks to deliever release on prod.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Hi,

I have tested the filtering and I still get the error message for too many values with 1300 rows. So I assume, the update is still not in production? I have got all these good instructions for customizing my own visual but it is not an option now.

Rgds, Mira

Hi Mira,

I've requested details regarding this issue from developers again.

As soon as I receive response from them, I will answer here.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

I would beg for help!
How can I search for multiple criteria using a text filter?
If I write:
auto * limousine

throw out all the lines that contain "car" and "limousine", but only if they are in that order.
If the item contains the word "limousine" first, then "auto", that line is not displayed.

How to solve it?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Greetings

Almost 2 months later, still nothing 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.