Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ak8598
Frequent Visitor

Showing data within from SharePoint Lists

Hi,

I'm building a dynamic Power BI Report based off data collected in SharePoint Lists for my organisation. I want to be able to only show relevant fields that are filled out in the SharePoint Lists within my report. 

For example, there are many fields that collect data within my SharePoint List, but not all fields are mandatory, so I would like to only provide visualisations in my Power BI Report for the fields that are filled out by the user within the SharePoint List. Is there a way to dynamically set that up?

Additionally, the aim is to create a Power BI Report each time a new item is added to said SharePoint List. Is there a way I can use Power Automate to ensure only one list itme is visualised per report?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"the aim is to create a Power BI Report each time a new item is added to said SharePoint List"

So if 1000 items are added to the sharepoint list you want to create 1000 reports?

The idea is that it's a crisis monitoring dashboard, so one aspect of the solution is to be able to generate a one-pager visualisation from each newly added item to the SharePoint list. 

Whichever office of ours around the globe is impacted by a crisis, would need to fill in and update the same item that they filled in the first time, which would update the specific Power BI report that was created from their first item added within the SharePoint list.

For example, say there's a cyber attack in our office in Milan, the office would fill out a template describing the situation through the SharePoint list we've built and would periodically update it as and when more information comes in. A Power BI report would ideally be created for that first instance when they added to the SharePoint list and would then continously be updated when and if the original item is edited.

You cannot create standard Power BI report pages on the fly. You may need to look into Power BI Embedded functionality for that.

You can create individual reports on the fly but there is a lot (A LOT) of plumbing that needs to happen behind the scenes, with many things only achievable via API calls. You're looking at some serious development work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors