Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lg1551
Resolver II
Resolver II

Scatter Plot With Line Connecting Plot Points to X-Axis

I have an X axis from 0 - 350. I am plotting where different categories fall on that axis based on their values. 

What I am looking to do is have the plot points show the category label but I need a line, solid or dashed, to go from the plot point to the X-axis. I've tried lollipop charts, annotated bar charts, scatter plots, and some custom downloadable visuals and I have been unable to achieve this visual. It seems rather simple but I am unable to find a solution. Any ideas?

Below is an example of what I want to achieve. Thank you for your help.

Example.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With lots of googling and youtubing I was able to figure it out. Got exactly what I needed. 
I used a basic bar chart and set the X axis to the max of my measure and the min to 0 and used the measure as the axis itself. On the Y axis I used the categories but of course they only did a count of 1. So I made a calculation group item that used the category name as the output string and placed that on the visual as a filter. Voila. Categories on top of each bar and each bar is plotted along the continuum. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Would you like to engage in some List.Generate() or GENERATESERIES() trickery?  If yes then please provide sample data.

It's fairly straightforward. I have categories, and then values for each category. I've tried bar charts, line charts, matrices, custom visual downloads, you name it. I think if anything, a basic bar chart would be fine. I just need the x-axis to be made up of the values on the table with a bar or line extending up to the category label as in my example. I thought if anything, I could do a Y-Axis of say 1 and 2, so if any two category values are close to one another, they wouldn't overlap.

Unforuntately I am unable to attach a file here. It isn't in my options. But if you can create a basic input data table with one column being the categories, and the second column being the values, that would be the data sample I'm working with.

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. I cannot help you without meaningful sample data.
Please paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services like OneDrive or Google Drive. I cannot use screenshots of your source data.

Capture.JPG

Missing the plot point for each category.

Sorry for the double post. Not sure why it posted twice. The plot points will just be alternated to assure the category labels on each column don't overlap. Thank you for your time with this.

Capture.JPG

I'm not getting the desired outcome. Looks like the series label is not available for clom chart or scatter plot. If this is important to you please consider raising it at https://ideas.powerbi.com

See attached for both attempts.

With lots of googling and youtubing I was able to figure it out. Got exactly what I needed. 
I used a basic bar chart and set the X axis to the max of my measure and the min to 0 and used the measure as the axis itself. On the Y axis I used the categories but of course they only did a count of 1. So I made a calculation group item that used the category name as the output string and placed that on the visual as a filter. Voila. Categories on top of each bar and each bar is plotted along the continuum. 

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors