Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Greymane
Frequent Visitor

Rendering graph with null values, Power KPI Matrix

I want to use Power KPI Matrix to show a monthly accumulated KPI with Actual value and Comparison value. In the dataset the Actual value is null for days after today, and the Comparison value is set for every day through out the month.

Now, it appears the graph doesn't render if Actual value is null. The behaviour I would expect is the graph redering if either Actual value OR Comparison value is not null.

I've tried the feature "Treat zero values as nulls" but see no use for it in this case, since it creates a drastic drop in the graph that would likely lead to misinterpretations.

The behaviour I'm looking for is shown in the Power KPI Visual small multiples example in this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/balanced-scorecards/

9 REPLIES 9
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

This is expected behavior for Power KPI Matrix because it was designed in such way.

Our recommendation is to filter null values out using Power BI Slicers or page level filters.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

I dont see how your recommendation to filter nulls would help. If I filter null values from the Actual value the graph doesn't render, even if I have Comparison values.

Why would you want the Power KPI Matrix to behave differently than the Power KPI visual and Excel? Both of which render the graph if any of the series contain non-nulls.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

It was required by specs. We'll consider an ability to render sparklines with null values.

For now, we recommend to filter null values out just for Power KPI Matrix by using visual level filters.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

This is my biggest dissapointment with the visual. It is otherwise brilliant but this one issue is preventing us from using it

@dm1904Have you found any other better solution for visualizing KPIs in a tabular layout?

@Greymane No I haven't this is the best I've found to be fair, at least for my use case. I just need to live with not showing future comparison values

Yea me too. It's just that it takes the edge away from accumulating monthly graphs, to say the least. But the fact that the related visual Power KPI renders null values splendidly gives me some hope that the Power KPI Matrix will also do it in time.
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, Power KPI Matrix will support the same but we do not have any ETA so far since our focus is to migrate it to versoned API and open source.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

@Greymane No I haven't this is the best I've found to be fair, at least for my use case. I just need to live with not showing future comparison values

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Kudoed Authors