Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Python Integration Error

Hi All,

I am getting the following error while using python visual. I made use of anaconda distribution for python installation.

Following is the error :

Error Message:
Python script error.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "PythonScriptWrapper.PY", line 2, in <module>
import os, matplotlib.pyplot, uuid, pandas
File "C:\Users\jasKsing\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.py", line 141, in <module>
from . import cbook, rcsetup
File "C:\Users\jasKsing\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\cbook\__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
import numpy as np
File "C:\Users\jasKsing\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 140, in <module>
from . import _distributor_init
File "C:\Users\jasKsing\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\numpy\_distributor_init.py", line 34, in <module>
from . import _mklinit
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Following is the script :

# The following code to create a dataframe and remove duplicated rows is always executed and acts as a preamble for your script:

# dataset = pandas.DataFrame(FullDate, UnitPrice, Quantity)
# dataset = dataset.drop_duplicates()

# Paste or type your script code here:
import pip
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
dataset.plot()

Following is the setting are options in power bi:
python settings pbi.PNG 

Kindly help 🙂

17 REPLIES 17
bclrk
Advocate II
Advocate II

I was able to fix this issue by using pip to uninstall matplotlib and pillow and then reinstall them. That is:

pip uninstall matplotlib
pip uninstall pillow
pip uninstall numpy pip install matplotlib pip install pillow
pip install numpy

I am new to python, where shall i run this code ?

It has been a while since I installed Python, I'll have to update it to start the year, but I believe you run pip at the command prompt, it would be the shell in Unix/Mac OS X, but I think in Windows you run it from the command prompt or perhaps from Anaconda Prompt. I was suprised to start the new year with a question from this old thread. Many Power BI updates have come out since this fix.

Thank you!

mficco
Frequent Visitor

This worked for me! Thanks!

I've been at this for 3 days and couldn't figure it out.

Kept getting the same error messages as the following cases:

1. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Microsoft-PowerBI-Scripting-Python-Exceptions/td-p/850714

2. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Python-with-Anaconda-missing-dependency/td-p/66510...

It wasn't until I ran the following uninstall and reinstall scripts in CMD that it FINALLY worked!! You are a life saver. Thank you so much.

AMM
Frequent Visitor

I of course tried this then tried to create a python visualization or at least print("Hello") and I got the following error:

ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

The default imports seem to be: os, uuid, matplotlib

Then later numpy as np

I'll submit another frown, but to say it didn't just work would be an understatement. I did test that I could use matplotlib, numpy, pandas etc. in Jupyter notebook even seaborn.

I ran your suggested installs and uninstalls in the order you suggested from the command line built into JupyterLab FWIW.

Cheers,

You may have already tried this but a pip uninstall and install of numpy and any other packages in the error could help.

AMM
Frequent Visitor

Of course I tried reinstalling months ago, but I did it again. Seaborn still does not work maybe I should use pip on that but I persisted with some test code as I got a different error after reinstalling numpy. I didn't use any PowerBI integration but I was able to use this code:

from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
import numpy as np
def sinplot(flip = 1):
   x = np.linspace(0, 14, 100)
   for i in range(1, 5):
      plt.plot(x, np.sin(x + i * .5) * (7 - i) * flip)

sinplot()
plt.show()

To get below so thanks, but 

actualMatplotLibInPowerBI.png

pkoetzing
Advocate III
Advocate III

I'm had exactly the same issue and error msg as @Anonymous .  So I checked out @Anonymous 's recipe, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.  I figured out that installing anaconda (conda install anaconda) just linked to the existing packages and didn't leave anything for the pip installer to do. But w/o installing anaconda (conda install -n py37 python=3.7) plus the subsequent pip installs all the packages (incl. vs2015_runtime) got newly downloaded and afterwards my Python visual worked like a charm. Thanks for your help, guys!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous ,

Do you know what version of Python your Anaconda environment is using? I was running into issues importing packages with 3.6 and 3.7.

I was able to get around the error by creating a new conda env with Python 3.5:

conda create -n py35 anaconda python=3.5

Then pip installing relevant packages (I had issues with PowerBI recognizing conda installs):

conda activate py35
pip install matplotlib
pip install pandas

After this is complete, you need to point PowerBI to the new env.

Including steps for those less familiar:

File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Python Scripting

Then add the Path to your new Env. Mine looks like:

"C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\envs\py35"

This thread tipped me off to the issue:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/362404/importerrordll-load-failed-the-specified-module-co.html

Let me know if you have questions.

Excellent! Thank you very much

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! 🙂👍🏾

Hi @Anonymous ,

Your solution did the job for me.

However I had to have an extra step: copying the environemnt folder from the C:\Program Files to another location, since the Python Script options in Power BI Desktop doesn't allow browsing to the C:\Program Files (probably IT policy).

Do you know how to configure the path in which the new env will be created within conda create?

Thanks,

Barak 

great solution, I fixed the ImportError based on your suggested solution. Thank you very much

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous ,

Do you know what version of Python your Anaconda environment is using? I was running into issues importing packages with 3.6 and 3.7.

I was able to get around the error by creating a new conda env with Python 3.5:

conda create -n py35 anaconda python=3.5

Then pip installing relevant packages (I had issues with PowerBI recognizing conda installs):

conda activate py35
pip install matplotlib
pip install pandas

After this is complete, you need to point PowerBI to the new env.

Including steps for those less familiar:

File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Python Scripting

Then add the Path to your new Env. Mine looks like:

"C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\envs\py35"

This thread tipped me off to the issue:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/362404/importerrordll-load-failed-the-specified-module-co.html

Let me know if you have questions.

I too am encountering this error. 

I chose to intall Anaconda and this resulted in Python version 3.7.3 being installed. I have verified using the command line and Jupyter notebooks that python, numpy, pandas, matplotlib and even seaborn work. I tried upgrading python using conda. I also tried creating a new enviroment version 3.7.1 which is supposedly the supported Python version. That too did not work, I could not navigate to the environment veriable from inside Power BI but I could change to that environment using the command line.

I tried replying earlier but now that I have created an account I can post a screen shot showing my inability to navigate to the Anaconda environment.

noEnv.png

I may need to get someone with administrator privlidges or completly blow away Anaconda but I was able to install Anaconda without administrator privlidges. 

@AMM 

I ran into the same but manged to find a solution:

1. In your Windows Explorer search for afolder named Continuum. Within this folder you will find /anaconda3/envs. If that doesn't work try:

a. Copy the current path of Pyrthon Home Directory and paste in your Windows Explorer

b. Browse up to the anaconda3 folder 

c. Browse down to /envs folder

2. Copy the py35 folder (subfolder in /Continuum/anaconda3/envs) to a location that you can browse to from Power BI Desktop

Barak

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors