Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jboyd170
Frequent Visitor

Power KPI Matrix: % values don't show correctly in 'Actual Value' field

I'm using PowerBI's Power KPI Matrix and for the most part its working as expected.  Most of my 'actual value' variables display correctly.  However, I have one variable that is a percent value (like a profit margin value) that displays correctly in the 'row-based-matrix' file but doesn't show correctly in the PowerKPI table.  Right clicking on the 'actual value' field in the visualization panel shows the default action as 'sum' which is good for most of my variables but doesn't display correctly for a % value.  If I change the 'Actual Value' variable in the visualization panel to 'average' the % value displays correctly but the other non-% values don't.  If this were a typical PowerBI table, I would set this % variable to 'average' and the others to 'summed.'  Is there a way to turn on 'average' for just one of the metric values?  Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Could you please share some screens or/and data to better understand you case?

Thanks!

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you please show me an example of row based mteric/data. I want to use the power KPI metric to display some KPIs.

Thanks

If you download the sample PowerBI file at the website, you’ll find a sample row based metrics table and a column-based metrics table, along with the visuals and good how-to instructions.

Thanks, @v-evelk , looks like the sample problem file has the same problem.  If you look at the 'satisfaction' value in the table, it shows 45% to 47% depending on the country slider which is correct.  However, if you clear the country slider, the satisfaction value is 1.40, which appears ot be the sum of the individiual country values.  This is not correct -- the value should be calculated differently.    I couldn't find an easy way to upload the screen shot of this.  Thanks for your help. 

I see that Power KPI Matrix doesn't care about grouping function in case to show Actual value, there will be always show the latest value from the rows. Moreover, if actual value field uses something except SUM grouping a corresponding metric will be excluded from visualization (not sure, may be a bug).

Also, if you switch to Table visual and clear the Country filter you will see that the latest percentage in the table is exactly such that Actual Value shows. It means that KPI Matrix doesn't summarize it, this was done by Power BI.

Regarding all of this, I suppose that it is better to transform data to format you need (calculate average % by DAX) before give them to Power KPI Matrix.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Thanks for your reply.   I agree with you that when I clear the county filter in the table view, the resulting value for satisfaction is 1.4.  It appears to sum the values of each county (.45, .45, .45) similar to the other categories. 

If I change 'satisfaction' value from 'sum' to 'average' in the column category for the column-based metric table, the satisfaction doesn't display in the table, which i guess is correct.  The visual doesn't support averages as values. 

I don't see a way to trick PowerBI to pre-calculate averages so they are displayed correctly.  

I can imagine many cases where I want a KPI based on an average value (% profit margin, % sales by region, etc) which unfortuately, is not available in this visual.   

I would hope that the visual could be enhanced to show averages in the table.  Until then, this visual is not useful for my application. 

Thanks again for the reply. 

I am not sure whether it possible to implement or not but I added it to the visual backlog so, we will investigate and probably include in the next visual releases.

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.