Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndyV
Frequent Visitor

Power KPI Matrix - bypass KPI Indicator Value automatic calculation

Good afternoon,

I'm using the Power KPI Matrix visual to compare performance of KPIs versus to LY and 2 years ago (2LY). When comparing a percent metric, I'd like to put basis point change into the KPI Indicator Value and Second KPI Indicator Value fields, but as of now the KPI Indicator Value is being pre-calculated instead of using the field I provided.

Looking at the sample file, I understand it states that this value is pre-calculated. Is there a way to bypass that automatic calculation for the KPI Indicator Value, as is possible with the Second KPI Indicator Value?

Sample File:

from the documentation, looks like custom numbers can only be used in the second KPI indicator value. can this be bypassed for the first KPI Indicator Value?from the documentation, looks like custom numbers can only be used in the second KPI indicator value. can this be bypassed for the first KPI Indicator Value?

Metric Example:

3 of the 4 metrics match, but the last one appears to be calculated and doesn't use my value. Is there a way to bypass the automatic calculation for KPI Indicator Value?3 of the 4 metrics match, but the last one appears to be calculated and doesn't use my value. Is there a way to bypass the automatic calculation for KPI Indicator Value?

Appreciate your help,

-Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndyV
Frequent Visitor

Hi Evgenii,

I am unable to send over the file itself, per the data it contains.

When trying to re-create the issue with the latest graphic version I am no longer getting this issue. It seems that updating the graphic and re-building the KPI Matrix from scratch was enough to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your help.

-Andy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AndyV
Frequent Visitor

Hi Evgenii,

I am unable to send over the file itself, per the data it contains.

When trying to re-create the issue with the latest graphic version I am no longer getting this issue. It seems that updating the graphic and re-building the KPI Matrix from scratch was enough to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your help.

-Andy

v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hello Andy,

If you use Row-Based data model you will just need fiil the bucket "KPI Indicator Value" by your column and values will be taken from it instead of automatically calculated.

If you use Column-Based data model you will need manually map necessery field throug "Edit" menu item as is said in the instruction from the sample report.

I see that the instruction in the sample report is little bit ugly regarding this moment (it is called "Variance" there) so we will update this info, thanks.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

AndyV
Frequent Visitor

Hi Evgenii,

thanks for the quick follow up. I'm using the "Column-Based" approach and had followed the "Edit" steps to map the columns prior to my original post, including clicking "apply". This is what the mapping looks like for my example. With this approach, I still end up with the pre-calculated difference (1966.1%) instead of the value I mapped (20, whole number).

same types of metrics are mapped for both KPI Indicator Value and Second KPI Indicator Value. However, formatting is still not working as expected.same types of metrics are mapped for both KPI Indicator Value and Second KPI Indicator Value. However, formatting is still not working as expected.

Appreciate your insight,

-Andy

HI Andy,

It is strange, I will check.

If it is possible, please will send your report and dataset to pbicvsupport@microsoft.com for analysis.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Dear Mr. Elkin,

I am using the Power KPI matrix visual to show my data (Row-based). Concering the KPI indicator value, I have calculated the difference between the current value & the target value. I put the column in the KPI indicator value section but it is not showing the difference but the percentage, which is not the business requirement. Could you please confirm if there is any option to represent the data in the absolute value and not in the percentage in the KPI indicator value option. 

Looking forward for your kind reply.

Regards,

Ahsan

Dear Ahsan,

Please, try to play with "Format" option inside "KPI Indicator Value" option group.

Format1.PNG

Format2.PNG

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

AB123
Frequent Visitor

@v-evelk, there is no "KPI Indicator Value" option group now. There is only the "KPI Indicator" option group and it does not have a Format field. Would you have any idea how to suppress  the 'Variance 2' tooltip in this case? 

It is unfathomable that Microsoft left such a glaring error with no (easy) way to hide it. It's the biggest tooltip value on an already complicated visual. When will this be fixed?

AB123_0-1617122308165.png

Dear Mr. Elkin, Giving your suggestion another shot with a fresh mind, I managed to remove the KPI Indicator value from the Sparkline tooltip. In the Format option of the visual of Power KPI Matrix: Switch the KPI Indicator value to ON> Remove the Label > Write Format as #, And there you go, no KPI Status in the sparkline tooltip. Thank you again for your suggestion. Regards Ahsan

Dear Mr. Elkin,

I must say thank you for showing a workaround, however it may still leads towards ambiguity for the report readers. I have changed the % with 0,0 and then it still shows the value in the tool-tip of the sparkline. Even if there was an option to change the color of the KPI Status text, it could have helped me to just change the color to the same as that of the background of the tool-tip.

However, I really appreicate for your help. And looking forward to have this issue resolved in the up-coming releases.

Best Regards

Ahsan

2019-11-20 17_41_07-141119 - Power BI Desktop.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors