Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Marcos_Franco
Frequent Visitor

Power KPI Matrix: Can't set comparison value

Hi.

I've been facing some problemas with the Power KPI Matrix custom visualization, where I just can't set the comparison value at all.

I've followed the steps on the "manual", where I edit the visual through the ... box, set each measure to the correponding comparison value and click on Apply. So far, so good, as the preview shows the visual as it should be (with the comparison value and the indicator that I've set up). The problem is that when I choose / click "Return to report" all settings are lost, and no comparison value is shown. I tried hiting [ESC], but then the visual bugs out, minimizing the edit section and preventing me from actually exiting it (I need to delete the visual and start over).

When I try to edit the visual again, it's all blank, as if I've never done anything before.

I believe that it is a problem introduced by some new version of the Power BI Desktop (mine is version 2.64.5285.741 64-bit), as it worked before. Unfortunately, I don''t know when it started to happen, as my previous reports (already set up) works (but I can't enter the edit section anymore, as entering it clears the comparison values).

Is there any workaround for this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

It seems the latest version has not been loaded. Do you have a stable internet connection?

Please try to load the latest package from AppSource and import it into your report.

As a workaround you can apply setting but do not close the panel.

Just press save and reboot the report.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Luis_Mendoza

I have the same problem

Can you share a few screenshots to understand this issue better?

We recently released a new version of Power KPI Matrix that improves Settings. Probably there might be a bug.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

We confirm this regression. It will be fixed soon.

Meantime, we have a workaround. If you click Edit and chnage Column Mapping please Save the report w/o closing Edit mode.

It will save column mapping properly.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thanks for your promptly reply, and sorry for not attaching any pictures before (I'm attaching them now, in this post, just for future references).

Also, thanks for the workaround, I confirmed it works fine, but I'll just add one piece of information for anyone else who might face the same problem: affter setting things up, do not click "Return to report", save your report and close the file. After reopening it, the visual will be set up correctly.

Yeah, it's bothersome remembering to close the report everytime, but at least it is doable.

Thanks again.

Visual all set, befor editingVisual all set, befor editingEntering the edit sectionEntering the edit sectionSettings lost after returning to reportSettings lost after returning to report 

Thanks for confirming the workaround.

We already fixed this issue (it was related to single line) and we are testing it now.

Please expect a new version in about a week because deployment takes some time.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Hi there.

I've updated the visual with the 2.2.1.0 version (stated as updated on December 07th) but the "forgetful" behavior persists, as in when I enter the edit section and return to the visual, all settings as lost.

Am I missing something or were I too rushed on updating the visual?

This is expected behavior because 2.2.1.0 has not been deployed to production yet.

It will be available on 12/25/2018.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

r529
Frequent Visitor

I am using version 2.2.1.0, although it has a release date of 12/7/2018, and it continues to exhibit the described behavior.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Version 2.2.1 is deployed to producation.

Have you tried to clear browser cache and try again?

If issue is still reproduciable we ask you clear browser cache and capture network traffic by using Chrome Dev Tools -> Network.

Network session will help us in understanding this issue.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

r529
Frequent Visitor

Just to be clear, the problem is occuring in Power BI Desktop.  The scenario is as follows:

1) Measure added to actual value.

2) Measure added to comparison value.

3) Open column mapping window.

4) Comparision value is selected.

5) Click apply.

6) Comparison value appears in matrix.

7) "Back to Report" selected.

😎 All comparison values disapear.

The workaround of saving before going back to report, closing the application, and reopening does work - but that is clearly not the desired functionality.

I did try clear the browser cache, with no effect.  Could you explain why capturing network traffic would be relevant?

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you use Power BI Desktop you should remove its cache by removing everything at these directories:

• C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop

• C:\Users\%username%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App

• C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

r529
Frequent Visitor

Sorry,

This did not resolve the problem.

I am running desktop version 2.65.5313.701 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

It seems the latest version has not been loaded. Do you have a stable internet connection?

Please try to load the latest package from AppSource and import it into your report.

As a workaround you can apply setting but do not close the panel.

Just press save and reboot the report.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Hi there.

I'm here just to report that I've just updated the visual with the 2.2.2.0 version (stated as uploaded on Dec. 26th) and I report that the bug mentioned at the begining is gone.

On a aside note, it seems that the visual can't handle comparison values that are set do 0 (like a variance that should be 0 but can be percentually negative or positive). Is it like that or is it a bug? If it's a bug, then I'll open another topic so that this one can be properly closed and the "new" bug can be properly traced.

I just got around to updating to 2.2.2.0 and  the bug is resolved.  Thanks.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Happy to hear that.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Happy to hear that.

Zero values for comparison values are not supported since they cause an error of dividing a number by zero.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Ah, ok, sorry. I think I was too eager to get the update.

So it will be a chrismas gift, huh? Nice, looking forward to it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors