Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

patrik20

Power BI Custom Visual - Objects and Properties types

Hi,

is it possible to use custom object property type (in capabilities.json)? I would like to use slider (values from-to) and buttons in Visualizations->Format->Objects->Properties->Property:type.

I was able to find and use only these types: integer, number, text, bool, enumeration, etc.

I'm able to display slider only like this (transparency key does the magic): 

"transparency": {
   "displayName": "Zoom",
   "type": {
      "integer": true
   }
}
Thank you,

Patrik
5 REPLIES 5
spandl
Helper I
Helper I

Just bumped into the same issue. Finding all the formatting tricks is really hard.

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Replying to confirm this is something I'm keen to know as well - all that seems to be publicly available is the valueType we can assign to an object, and the corresponding ValueTypeDescriptors.

However, as OP mentions, there do seem to be some naming conventions around objects where if they contain the right string and have the right type, will result in rendering a slider rather than a text box (e.g. transparency), or maybe others we don't know about. Maybe it's if the numeric value can resolve to a percentage value? Not entirely sure but would be good to confirm what we can do here to improve the user experience around objects.

@v-evelk - is there such a list of known patterns for object names and how they will affect the rendering of the object in the properties pane? If not, is it possible to supply it please? This might help in the case where it's not possible to introduce custom types and the team already has something that might satisfy requirements.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Hy guys,

Unfortunately, there isn't a full list of known properties except those that you can find in schema.capabilities.json file (there is a list of all APIs).

A process of documentation building and improvement is ongoing so, sooner or later such list will appear.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

I'm also curious about this.  I'd like to customize the elements used to set the capability object properties.  

Since the native visuals show sliders, links and buttons, there must be a way to insert these.

Any updates?

Is there any progress on the documentation? I realize that power bi native widgets such as the Line Chart use capability object properties such as [X Axis].[Minum category width] that are displayed as a slider with a minimum and maximum value. This is something that would improve the user experience for my custom visual as well. Obviously the API for this exists so it would be nice if documentation how to achieve this was be available.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors