cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moderator v-viig

Re: Memory leaks in Power BI custom visuals

Our engineers are working on improving performance of custom visuals.

This will take some time as we have to update lots of code and test it.

We'll update once everything is ready.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Flash_BI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This is having a severe impact on our reporting and is causing huge spikes in CefSharp.BroswerSubprocess for me. I have been pulling my hair out redesigning measures and entire reports and it seems like it is related to the use of custom visuals (mostly the Card with States visual) that is used in our dashboards. Having dashboards without conditional formatting is a no go for us and we really need a fix as soon as possible. 

We're an enterprise customer with over 800 users and use of custom visuals is needed where standard Power BI visuals do not meet requirements, do you guys have an ETA on this as I'm currently in a situation where I cannot even edit some of my reports and need to reconsider what we can and can't make available to our end users. 

Thanks.

Moderator v-viig

Power BI Custom Visuals API team is implementing a new API that is going to be faster and lighter than API 1.x.x.

Current ETA is ~ August 2018 (date is not fixed). It will also take some time to migrate CVs to a new API.

We'll keep you posted.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

iperezlemme Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ignat,

In my case, the problem seems fixed in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Services while using certain browsers (Chrome, Safari and Firefox). But when using IE or Edge, the memory leak persists. 

I believe the memory footprint is still been worked on, but i'm afraid using both Microsoft's browsers, the memory leak persists. 

In my case, I detected the same issue Marco reported, but only using PowerApps custom visual (currently in preview mode) and Argis maps. At the time, I found no other custom visuals with the same issue. 

The main problem is that any of the mentioned browsers release no memory at any time (I left the computer on for 2 hours and memory was still taken). What makes it even worse, is that IE doesn't crash and restart by itself, but I shows an error in the report and stops loading as shown in the images at the end. Edge manages a bit better and reboots by itself.

Some technical details....

• Independent of the OS
  • Only occurs in Edge and IE. Couldn't repro in Chrome, Safari and Firefox
  • IE crashes when reaching 1.5GB memory. Edge crashes when reaching 5GB memory (I miss a test here, what occurs when the computer doesn't have that much memory available)
  • It's not exclusive of custom visuals (as far as I am concerned). If you move quickly enough between pages, the browser still increases in memory consumption without releasing any, with the same ending. In this case, IE does release the memory after a while. 

Edge Memory Leak Win 10.pngEdge Memory Leak in Win10IE 11 Memory Leak Win 7.pngIE11 Memory Leak in Win10IE 11 Memory Leak Win 10.pngIE11 Memory Leak in Win7 

Regards,

Ignacio

Moderator v-viig

It looks like this issue might be related to these specific visuals.

Can you share any repro steps?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

iperezlemme Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Yes, sure!

0. Open app.powerbi in IE 11 or Edge

1. Create a new report (Desktop/Service) with a datasource of your choice, AdventureWorks will do.

2. Create 2 pages in your report and in one or both pages insert a PowerApp visual or ESRI Maps visual, with the corresponding fields.

3. Navigate the report going from page 1 to page 2, to page 1, and again. 

4. If desired, open Task Manager to review how memory incresases without being released at any moment. In IE it'll crash when reaching 1.5gb aprox and Edge 4/5gb aprox. 

Please tell me if you need any more info! 

Ignacio

Moderator v-viig

Hi Ignacio,

Thank you for detailed repro steps. We'll share them to proper team for further investigation.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

suzanneshuford Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Is this being addressed? I am experiencing the same issue.  

Moderator v-viig

Hi @suzanneshuford

Power BI Custom Visuals API team is working on improving performance.

Can you share any details on when you face the same issues?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

gerritK New Member

Hi @v-viig ,

a new guy bothering you for updates...   ;-)

Any news on this issue? We're currently also in the middle of two proof of concepts with enterprise customers and without solving this performance issue we're probably going to loose against Qlik Sense.

Thanks for your effort & Kind regards,

Gerrit