cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moderator v-viig

Re: Memory leaks in Power BI custom visuals

Hello everyone,

I'm really sorry to hear that memory issue is still existing.

I'm waiting for official details from Power BI Custom Visuals API team.

@hgmogular, It'd be good if you could share your test files.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Moderator v-viig

PBI CV Team has reported that a fix for this issue is going to hit Power BI web on 10/11/2017.

PBI Desktop October should contain the same fix.

Are you still facing memory issue in Power BI Desktop October?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

marcorusso Member

I am using Power BI Desktop Version: 2.51.4885.543 64-bit (October 2017)

The problem is identical. Switching back and forth between pages of the same report raises the memory used by CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe until it slow down and eventually crashes because it runs out of memory.

Moderator v-viig

@marcorusso Thank you for the details.

Could you please clarify amount of custom visuals on each page?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

aruparel Member

Hi Ignat,

I tried my report in PowerBI Desktop, Version: 2.51.4885.543 64-bit (October 2017).

One of the tabs in my report has about 55 "card with states" and 2 "chiclet slicers" custom visuals. The other tab has about 10 custom visuals (some guages and chiclet slicers).

When I switch between these tabs for about 6 times, I noticed that unlike before, now the memory increased only by 3% (between the 2nd and the 6th time), which is much more stable than the before.

For me, it seems that this fix will resolve the problem, once it is rolled out on to the powerbi.com service. I still face the memory leak issue when using the report from powerbi.com

Regards,

Ashish

henrikj Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm using PBI Desktop 2.51.4885.543 64-bit (oktober 2017).

My report has 15 custom visualization on each page. In my opinion, the memory leakage has been reduced. Unfortunately CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess still hits the memory wall after some page switching, it just takes a bit longer.

Moderator v-viig

@aruparel

I'm glad to hear that. As far as I know, the fix is going to hit production (powerbi.com) today.

@henrikj

I'm wondering if you can provide a few extra details:

• What is the memory usage once Power BI Desktop goes out of memory in your case?
  • What custom visuals do you use?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

marcorusso Member

I created this file to reproduce the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gj3ei0ceav1r229/MemoryLeak-01.pbix?dl=0

Switching back and forth between Page 1 and Page 2 multiple times slow down the entire Power BI window. The CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe increases the memory if you switch between the two pages quickly. If you give time to the page, then CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe releases memory, but it still goes up reaching almost 2GB of virtual memory allocated, and it not always go back to a stable number - waiting more time without actions, memory allocated is released, but I neve see the process going below 1 GB. Considering we have two pages with 30 visuals each, the memory consumption is really high. I agree that there is an improvement, but I still see some problem.

Marco Russo - SQLBI

henrikj Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

The memory usage is about 1900 MB after som substanstial page switiching. I tried to test the release of memory (as described by Marco), but unfortunately Windows Update restarted my computer during the night. However, while PBI Desktop still reached 1900 MB, it never became completley unresponsive, just sluggish. A few days ago when I initally tried the new release, it lock up completely.

We use two custom visualizations, both developed inhouse. The first is a simple tool tip that uses a visual level filter to show one of maybe fiften strings, on mouse hover.

The second visualization is more advanced. It's a map based on Google Maps. We're using both the street view and the heat map functionality in Google Maps. We plot the data points as pie charts using D3. If a user clicks on a pie charts, all details for the data points are shown to the user. There's no limit on how many data points the map can show. I've included a screen shot of the map below. Everything that shows in the window, except the column on the left, are data for the selected data point.

Our application contains very little data as all data input is by hand in a separate web application. Currently, it contains about 2200 rows. All rows with location data are shown on the map (I would say about 2000 data points). A saved pbix, containing all data, is less than 2 MB in size. 

2017-10-12 09_13_40-EmbraceInsightTest - Power BI Desktop.png

Moderator v-viig

Thank you guys for the details.

This issue will be reported to PBI CV API team.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer