Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lock Fields

Team wants me email and share my native BI Desktop. Here, I do not want to show my all Measures i built up.

Is there any fuction to lock the Fields? with something like Password and so on.

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

I'll provide you with an answer in here - if you have any questions like this in future, it's probably better to post them in the Desktop or Service forums. There's a much higher volume of users there that can provide you with a solution more quickly than this particular forum (which is concerned with developing custom visuals using code).

What you want, specifically, is not a feature of Power BI Desktop. Desktop is not designed for sharing, but rather development of reports. Sharing is managed by publishing to the Power BI Service.

I'm not sure why you'd not want people to see your measure code - is it more that you don't want people to edit them?

If the latter, depending on the technical comprehension of your users, you have a couple of "options" if you have to feel you must stick with Desktop:

• Hide all measures in report view (they'll still be able to see them if they go to the data or model views).
  • If your purpose is to stop users editing measures, you could share the workbook on a read-only network share. Users could still view/edit measures without saving the workbook though.

If it's more a case of wanting users to be able to configure the report and visuals using Desktop, but you want the data model to remain fixed/protected, the "Power BI way" to do it is to create a shared dataset in the service :

• Publish your workbook data model to the Power BI Service as a report. This will create an accompanying dataset.
  • Create a new workbook and live connect to the published dataset from the last step.
  • Users will now be able to see the model and add their own visuals using your measures, but not see the measure code underneath.

To complete, You can copy/paste the visuals from your orignial report into a new one and then clear out visuals from the original and re-publish.

This dataset can then have its own refresh, and if you make changes then all dependent reports will see them and get the updated data.

Further reading on shared datasets:

Hopefully this gives you some ideas. Good luck!

Daniel

If my post solves your challenge, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.