Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FraNat
Frequent Visitor

KPI Matrix - Calc KPI Index issue

In the example file of Power KPI Matrix it is possible to filter the visual by Country, but if I want to see, for instance, both France and Germany together then the KPI Indicator Status does not work anymore (it just sums the Calc KPI Index values instead of calculating them again). 
How can I solve this problem with this Custom Visual (I'm using the Row_Based_Metrics)? Is it possible to modify the Calc KPI Index formula so it calculates it again when I want to see the KPI for the whole company instead of only one country?
Thanks in advance for your support.

13 REPLIES 13
rexii23
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is not completely related to the KPI visual but I have experienced the same issue with some of my metrics in other standard visuals such as tables.

It all depends on what you want the result to be when you add in aggregation. For this instance, I gather you want to sum the countries first for each metric and then do the actual calculation such work out variance to target. So it is sum then divide. The default behaviour could be divide then sum.

To solve this, I had to write a custom dax formula to ensure the calculation is correct. I can find the example right now but from memory it involves SUMX(FILTER(VALUES .....

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

As a quick workaround you might put the country column into Hyperlink data-field.

Such workaround forces Power BI to stop summarize KPI Index.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you would compare countries we would recommend that you should add a Power KPI Matrix for each country.

Please let us know if that meets your requirements.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

FraNat
Frequent Visitor

Good day,
Actually it does not meet my requirements.
My organization is divided in geographical areas (Europe, America, Asia, etc), and each area has lots of countries in it. The goal is to have one visual with all the KPIs and the possibility to see them for the whole organization, for a single area or for a single country (using filters). This is actually possible with this Visual, the only thing that does not work is the KPI Indicator Status.
Is there a way to fix it?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

You just need to include a filter for each area (Country, Region, etc.).

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

FraNat
Frequent Visitor

Screen1.jpgThat's what I did, but if i select more than one country (or a whore area) then the KPI Indicator Status does not work anymore, as you can see in the attached screenshot.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like Power BI summurize KPI Index.

Please use Maximum aggregation instead:

Capture.PNG

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

FraNat
Frequent Visitor

Actually I can not use this method. If I do so, then if only one country does achieve its KPI and all the others do not, then it seems that the whole organization is going well. 
Is there another way to solve my issue?

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Another alternative is to prepare a couple of instances of Power KPI Matrix in order not to use filtering.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

FraNat
Frequent Visitor

Mh, sorry, i don't understand what do you mean with that.. Could you please make an example using the data in the sample file?

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

I mean you need to add Power KPI Matrix for each country that you want to analyze.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

FraNat
Frequent Visitor

Well, I can already analyze every single country with a single Power KPI Matrix, the problem is that I cannot analyze a group of countries (e.g. Europe).

FraNat
Frequent Visitor

Well, this is not the right solution, you cannot just select the index with the highest value.
In this way none of the KPI will give the correct result

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors