Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cdabreu

Joining Salesforce Data to Excel Sheet Data

Hi everyone!  I am looking to see if PowerBI supports joining two unrelated data tables into one project. I want to pull in data from a Salesforce sandbox, as well as an excel sheet. I then want to join this data into one table.

I was able to do this with Tableau, so I'm hoping PowerBI has a way!

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It really depends on the complexity of your instance (how many objects would it take to recreate the report type, what is the size of the objects) and the number of rows you are expecting to get back from the report (there is an artificial 2000 row limit on all SFDC reports accessed via the API).

Personally  I prefer objects as they don't have a row limit and the connector now supports some mild query folding (ie it is producing custom SOQL for some of the transforms).

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Sure. Are you using the Salesforce Objects or the Salesforce Reports connector?

I am currently using the Salesforce Reports connector because I have several objects I am trying to work with. But let me know if using objects is a better solution! I'm pretty new to PowerBI, so I'm sure there's more for me to learn. Thank you for your time!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, that is possible. Be aware that Salesforce is case sensitive whereas Power BI (DAX) is not. Use CaseSafeID for the linkage if possible.

Hi! Can you please explain how to do this? I am not seeing an option to add another data source once Salesforce is linked. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors