Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import pbiviz from file instead gets latest appsource version

Hello,

I recently had some of my visuals accepted to appsource.
I have since made improvements and intended to push out the latest version to the store, but in order to do that I need to update the version of the visuals included in my sample report.
The problem happens when I try to import the latest version of the visual "from a file".
It confirms the update, and then claims to have been successfully imported, however I do not see the improvements.
If I right click and select "About" for the visual, it will report the old version number and even that it was obtained through appsource rather than a file.

The same also happens if I create a brand new report.

Is this a bug or do I need to change a setting somewhere that is overriding the import?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hello,

It's the expected behavior.

Your visual is in CDN and PowerBI takes it from there by GUID, despite you imort new one.

If you want to test your changes, you can change GUID and import the visual, however, the report for submission sending has to contain visual with original GUID.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hello,

It's the expected behavior.

Your visual is in CDN and PowerBI takes it from there by GUID, despite you imort new one.

If you want to test your changes, you can change GUID and import the visual, however, the report for submission sending has to contain visual with original GUID.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

So when I submit the visual and sample report, The sample report will contain the old visual?

Email will have attached Visual Version 2.0, and sample report containing visual 1.0?

Thanks for the reply

I recommend to re-import the visual into the report nevertheless.

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

@v-evelk wrote:

I recommend to re-import the visual into the report nevertheless.

I have found that if you don't do this, the email submission process will automatically reject your workbook and ask you to ensure the updated version has been imported into the workbook. Even though it loads from the CDN, the actual imported packaged visual is stored in the workbook binary and can be seen if you unzip the .pbix file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try this Evgenii,

Thanks for the help.

It would be nice to add a checkbox somewhere that told power bi to ignore the CDN.
You can pull this off by disabling your network connection at the time of importing from file, or as you said changing the GUID for the visual but this is a bigger pain than needed to ensure we are delivering quality products to power bi users.

Ryan

Another workaround: If you have admin control of your Power BI tenant (or can work with someone who does), then you can also upload your custom visual as an organizational visual and import it from your organizational store. This will override anything currently in AppSource and I frequently use it as an alternate testing approach.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, I will use that strategy for testing moving forward.  That definitely beats my strategy of disabling my network connection so it couldn't reach to cdn to override the version to import.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.