Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

koningii
Frequent Visitor

How to Change category order of infographic designer 1.8.7

I am using the visual infographic designer 1.8.7 and I would like top change the category order. I have 3 categories abc which are now shown as a b c. I would like to have them shown in the order of b a  c. 

5 REPLIES 5
joeldevos
Frequent Visitor

This may be related. I am interested in the option to sort visuals by a column which is not in the visual. For example, fiscal months formatted as FY2020 ## MMM which I don't want to be shown in the visual. The column I would like to show is a short name of that column MMM. I can do this in business objects but Power BI does not have this option on visuals. 

Hi @koningii,

You haven't mentioned if you've tried custom sorting for your column - if not I would start here.

If you've done this and it's still not working then it's likely an issue with the custom visual and will require fixing. We might need the custom visuals team to chime in on that.

@joeldevos - I believe your requirements are similar and you can either set up something similar to the above with an appropriate attribute in your date table - if you arent using a date table it's a very powerful modelling tool:

I would suggest that if you need more help unpacking these concepts, or need specific questions answering, it might be better to ask in the Desktop forum, as many more users frequent that forum and you'll get the benefit of their more diverse expertise and likely to get faster assistance.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

koningii
Frequent Visitor

@dm-p I have indeed tried that. The infographic designer 1.8.7 does not let me change the order as custom visuals do. I am not able to have it sorted in the order I want.  

Hi @koningii - interesting... I've just had a look and seems to work okay for me. I'll re-trace my steps just in case anything sticks out for you:

• I've set up a very simple dataset similar to your requirements in the OP:

image.png
    I've also added an aribitrary Value column, just to give us an implicit measure we can use in the visual.

• Next, I've set the Attribute column to use the Attribute Sort column as its sort, e.g.:

image.png

• I've then added the Infographic Designer (1.8.7) to my report and set the Category field to Attribute & the Measure field to Value, e.g.:

image.png
  • This is already sorting as b, a, c - as per our sort by column - but I've just checked the sorting to be sure:

image.png

I've attached a copy of this workbook for you to have a look and see if this is the same for you. Please let me know if this works for you, as there might be a setting particular to your Power BI Desktop or tenant that might be preventing this, although if you're okay with other custom visuals then I'm not convinced that it would be.

Either way, I hope this might get us closer to figuring out your issue.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

koningii
Frequent Visitor

@dm-p Great explantion.  What my problem is looking at the picture is that I am not able to order it to first powder, then butter then mass. I tried all the sorting possibilities. Please help

Voorbeeld.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.