Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help Changing Funnel Plot Colors and Shapes of Specific Data Points

I just starting creating Funnel Plots for Medical Center data where I plot Regions or Facilities. 

I use a count as 'Occurrence' and PBI create the Ratios.  Can someone help with these issues?

1) How can I see the values that are created for the Y-axis Ratio for each plot?

2a) How can I see what PBI calculates as the Upper & Lower Confidence Limits?  I specifically want to know what the 2nd CL is that I set at 99.5%.

2b) These 99.5% CL values are needed because I want to change the color of the circle to RED if the plot (Facility or Region) falls Above the Upper 99.5% CL, and change to GREEN if the plot falls Below the Lower 95.5% CL.  Can you tell me if & how to do this?

3) How can I change the SHAPE from circle to Triangle or a Diamond just for ONE plot (Facility or Region) ? 

SAS is able to do this with this syntax: "markerattrs=(symbol=diamondfilled)"

Thanks,

Craig

7 REPLIES 7
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hello,

1) How can I see the values that are created for the Y-axis Ratio for each plot?

-- The exact position is calculated by R script and in fact Y value doesn't have sense for the current chart as I understand, only the position is important

2a) How can I see what PBI calculates as the Upper & Lower Confidence Limits?  I specifically want to know what the 2nd CL is that I set at 99.5%.

-- It is calculated by algorythm from R script but R script is out of my experstise, unfortunately. However, I believe that there is some correlation that is based on data themselves only.

2b) These 99.5% CL values are needed because I want to change the color of the circle to RED if the plot (Facility or Region) falls Above the Upper 99.5% CL, and change to GREEN if the plot falls Below the Lower 95.5% CL.  Can you tell me if & how to do this?

-- As I found, current implementation of the chart doesn't allow to do it. There are two option to solve this issue: to fork visual and adjust to you needs or describe the issue with details and screens and I will register it as a future request for the visual and will send it to an appropriate developer.

3) How can I change the SHAPE from circle to Triangle or a Diamond just for ONE plot (Facility or Region) ? 

-- The same recommendation as for 2b)

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evgenii, I just sent you an email directly since I attached an Excel sheet as an example of the my request.

Thanks!

Hello Craig,

Thank you for the detailed description.

I have added a couple of feature requests concerning color and shapes of points into a visual backlog.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any ETA regarding these features implementation.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evgenii & team (I emailed this directly the other day)

Could you elaborate on #2 below?  Where is the path for this?

"guid": "RHTML_FUNNEL_978302916642"

And what should we change it to?

And if we cannot implement on our end, could you give a better ETA for the Developer to implement these changes?

Thanks!

To build the visual with your changes you have to:

1. Clone the repo
  2. Change GUID inside pbiviz.json file (otherwise visual will refer to an original visual from CDN)
  3. Run “npm install” in the root of the repo (You have to install Node.JS to have an ability to perform npm commands)
  4. Run “npm run package” in the root of the repo to build PBIVIZ package that you can find then in DIST folder
  5. Import PBIVIZ package in PowerBI from the file

The thread has been continued in e-mail...

I am just publishing here the answer to see a full picture.

"There is a file pbiviz.json inside the project folder.

You should edit it and change 5th string where you can see visual GUID.

You should just put here a set of chars and digits, actually, it doesn’t matter what exactly, but would be better if it was corresponding to the visual name.

For instance, it may be something as following

RHTML_FUNNEL_CUSTOM_578345975

Regarding ETA, unfortunately I cannot provide a better one."

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.
We were able to extract out the R script that can be manually editted to split the plots into 3 colors - that code is here. However, I would like ot change the color for the 3rd criteria (Inside) to YELLOW instead of the default Blue. Do you know how?

Also, we would like your team to still develop a Visual to change these colors in the Visual package.

#Outlier + Colors
outlier = ifelse(((p-p.fem)/p.se)> 2.807, 1, #above upper (RED)
          ifelse(((p-p.fem)/p.se)< -2.807, 2, #below upper (GREEN)     
                   3)) #inside (BLUE > change to YELLOW)
outlier = factor(outlier, levels=1:3)

#Shapes
fp <- ggplot(aes(x = countValue[drawPoints], y = yAxis[drawPoints], colour=outlier), data = df[drawPoints,],) + geom_point(aes(dataset[3,1], (dataset[3,2]/dataset[3,1])), shape=17, size=pointCex*2.5, show.legend = FALSE, colour=outlier)
fp <- fp + geom_point(shape = 16, size = pointCex*2, show.legend = FALSE)

Thanks!
Craig

Hi Craig,

I'm glad that your team figured out how to build conditions to split colours.
However, I'm unsure that I completely understand the issue.

Here you can see that a color can be set as a string, also, I suppose, it accepts color codes as "#445566".
To be honest, it will be better to set these colors as input parameters that come from format pane.
Please, pay attention to this line in capabilities.json. It's a name of parameter for point color.
To make visual more customable regarding colors settings, you should add two additional params at the same level in capabilities.json file and read them from the code.

I completeley support your desire to make these features a part of MS Funnel Plot visual and I'm ready assist you in this because the changes are reasonable.
You could create a pull request with your suggested changes for the visual and I will review it and provide comments or approve (depends on the situation).

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors