Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Boni
Frequent Visitor

Gateway data automatic Refresh & offline Computer

Dear community,
I have a standard gateway that is supposed to update my published reports at night. My problem here is that it doesn't work because my computer is off at the time. Also the problem is when I am on holiday the dashboards don't update either. Is it possible to have two computers with one gateway and the same data source so that the dashboard can be updated by colleagues when I am on holiday?
Maybe there is an easier way without gateways (problem desktop version I can't update automatically because we use MySQL data source).
thanks for the help
Boni

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

yes, for business continuity reasons you should have always more than one computer in your gateway cluster. Ideally these computers should be on 24/7  (for example private cloud VMs) but if you have colleagues around the world that run gateway cluster members then you can achieve something similar.

Warning: Gateways are very resource hungry. They can easily bring your computer to its knees. It is highly recommended to run them on dedicated machines, where nothing else is running.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nagammai
Regular Visitor

But do we have any other alternate to this instead of relying on the system availaibility?

And dedicated machines means?

Please elaborate, it is not clear what you are referring to.

I have a Dashboard with ODATA Feed being the source.

We are planning to perform schedule refresh on frequent intervals; Now the issue here is, the Gateway connection.

If the credentials are specific to a single user, then having the user's system ONLINE for weekends or even durings OFF working hours, this gets difficult.

So we want a gateway setup that can operate 24*7

You install a standard (not personal) gateway cluster on a couple of on-premise cloud VMs or on physical machines in your company's data center.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

yes, for business continuity reasons you should have always more than one computer in your gateway cluster. Ideally these computers should be on 24/7  (for example private cloud VMs) but if you have colleagues around the world that run gateway cluster members then you can achieve something similar.

Warning: Gateways are very resource hungry. They can easily bring your computer to its knees. It is highly recommended to run them on dedicated machines, where nothing else is running.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.