Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Force directed graph performance hit

Hi there. I'm having an issue with the force directd graph custom visual. I'm not sure when it changed, but since a few days, the visual has gotten a lot slower. We use it to show networks between users, and have many nodes. The more nodes there are, the slower it gets. You see it in the exam[ple files too. The second tab is smooth, but the rest is kind of... low fps....stuttery. If you add more nodes, you'll find that the performance deteriorates.

I didnt change the visual, but the performance is suddenly a lot worse on both the service and powerBI desktop. Did MS change something on their side that could ruin the performance like that?

Thanks a lot!

Jaap

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IlfatGaliev
Frequent Visitor

Hello @Anonymous

Yes, the setting for displaying of labels was added.

Could you switch on "Intersection" option at "Format" panel, and check the performance of visual?

ForceDirectGraph.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
IlfatGaliev
Frequent Visitor

Hello @Anonymous

Yes, the setting for displaying of labels was added.

Could you switch on "Intersection" option at "Format" panel, and check the performance of visual?

ForceDirectGraph.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoah, that's it IlfatGaliev!!

Thanks so much!

What does that setting so anyway? And how can it be that that setting was updated without an update to powerBI itself?

@Anonymous if that setting is on, some intersected labels will be hidden

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see, Weird that that has such a performance impact then.. I guess it has to calculate which labels to hide, is that it?

Anyway, it's back to normal now, thanks so much! 

(Still wondering how this setting seems to have changed overnight, are the custom visuals auto-updated somehow?) I dont get it! 😄 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous

Power BI loads all of custom visuals from our CDN (it work if your machine has internet access).

It allows us to deliver new versions of the visuals to end users.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah thanks, I never knew that it did that!

It's a bit weird that the option is switched OFF by default, even though the last version of the visual had it on ON by default.

Anyway, all is well, thanks a lot for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.