Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DW868990
Helper IV
Helper IV

Field Parameters in Deneb Visuals

Hi,

Do field parameters work within deneb visuals?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, field parameters aren't currently supported. They don't work well in a "flexible dataset"-type situation and have to be very explicitly defined in a custom visual (which is why they work well in visuals with defined data roles).

I will be planning some limited support for field parameters in v2, and the RFC is here if you wish to add your thoughts to it or track its status. As field parameters are in still preview for Power BI, it will give sufficient time for me to review the GA implementation and bear any additional changes in mind before I start working on it, as it's quite a big piece of work.

Deneb version 2 is currently being scoped and planned, and I don't have a solid ETA yet. We may start seeing alpha builds very late this year or early next year if all goes well. I develop Deneb in my free time and free of charge, so it's hard to gauge exactly how long things can take.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
vbakh
Regular Visitor

Pls check https://github.com/deneb-viz/deneb/issues/238#issuecomment-1501033734 for the workarounds for Field Parameters in Deneb and SELECTEDVALUE()

rdavi10471a2
Regular Visitor

Just starting to look at Deneb and I have only been working with Power BI for a couple months and I use Field Parameters heavily   I just did a small test and for the price of a couple extra measures you can indeed use field parameters with a deneb chart -- for a simple bar chart at least.

I did the following 
Imported some fake data

rdavi10471a2_0-1663445534530.png

Created the field Parametrs with an extra column named MeasureID

rdavi10471a2_1-1663445620642.png

Used enter data to create this table Available Facts

rdavi10471a2_2-1663445690732.png

Created the relationship

rdavi10471a2_3-1663445735142.png

I allowed the Field Parameters slicer to be created but the Available Facts slicer can be used as well (it may be redundant)

i then used the simple bar chart template as follows

rdavi10471a2_4-1663446122394.png

and as seen here changing the slicer does change the values in the chart

rdavi10471a2_5-1663446334990.png

rdavi10471a2_6-1663446374711.png

Far from a final polished solution but I would think by adding a few more measures to calculate the axis lables and title it would be a good start.

I thought i would share this.. I think this approach could possibly be generalized a bit? 

Awesome tool, keep up the good work.

I've only managed with doing a coalesce of 'known' fields into a single field within the spec and did a brief twritter thread about it here when field parameters went into preview. One of the cool things about a visual like Deneb is that I get taught things too, so yes, I would love to know how you're managing it, and TIA 🙂

Cheers,

Daniel

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Just read that as well.. Looks like we did it the same way kind of thinking I just made power BI tell me what the actual selected measure was like your or in the Json i guess

I forgot to include the magic measure  with more than 2 a switch statement would be better but for a simple test it works. Same logic could be used for the other axis.

SelectedFact = if(SELECTEDVALUE(AvailableFacts[MeasureId])=0,[SalesFake],[GPFake])

Did you ever try this with the 'other axis'? I'm trying to get it working for a category axis but this method doesn't work when creating the SelectedFact measure?

Ah, this is similar to doing it with expressions inside the specification, so will work fine, as long as you don't mind setting up a measure to do so 👍

We'll do something like this automatically to the dataset internally when feature support is added. As per my other reply, we don't currently have anything useful in the visual metadata that tells us you're using a field parameter (or what its name is), so we'll likely create special roles (buckets) for you to add them to which will handle the conversion, unless MS can add some more metadata (which I have asked for, but have no idea if we'll get it).

Cheers,

Daniel

DW868990
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thank you @dm-p 

Appreciate the work that goes into Deneb

KerKol
Super User
Super User

Only partially I believe, @dm-p can awnser that

No, field parameters aren't currently supported. They don't work well in a "flexible dataset"-type situation and have to be very explicitly defined in a custom visual (which is why they work well in visuals with defined data roles).

I will be planning some limited support for field parameters in v2, and the RFC is here if you wish to add your thoughts to it or track its status. As field parameters are in still preview for Power BI, it will give sufficient time for me to review the GA implementation and bear any additional changes in mind before I start working on it, as it's quite a big piece of work.

Deneb version 2 is currently being scoped and planned, and I don't have a solid ETA yet. We may start seeing alpha builds very late this year or early next year if all goes well. I develop Deneb in my free time and free of charge, so it's hard to gauge exactly how long things can take.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors