Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Comment Box for Power BI Viz

Hey all.

I want to put a feedback comment box on my visual that would log them into an Excel Spreadsheeet (probably on Office 365). I've ssen MicrosoftApps that float around this, but theyh get a little too complicated. I wanted something really simple that would just create a comment box to log comments. Any ideas or examples that you've seen?

3 REPLIES 3
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I don't think that it's a great idea because most of custom visuals work inside iframe so, it will be challenging.

You can try to use some services to send and store the comments, I suppose, or store your comments inside visual settings that is possible (but there may be difficulties with sharing among users).

Also, if you would like to certify your visual in the future, there is a high chance that you will face with issues.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate the reply.

1)

You had said "You can try to use some services to send and store the comments" -- Which services are you referring to?

2) 

You also said "You can store your comments inside visual settings that is possible" -- What are you referencing here? 

Further, aside from the iframe issue, from an end-users perspective how come asking for review that the viz makes can later use to rate and score the visualization not be a good idea? This is pretty typical for most anything from products to restaurants. Appreciate the response!

1) I meant comment hosting services.

2) Your visual stores Format Panel Options values so, you can add an option and hide it from Format Panel, then you can use it to store necessary info but, I'm afraid that it won't work without report saving so, it isn't an option.

Regarding an example with products and restaurants, they would probably use several visuals for each item, not a sole one and having a comment box with comment list in one of the visuals will look strange.

Also, I cannot imagine how you are going to show different comments based on filtration and selection, the comments should be related with certain data, but not a visual, right?

For me, visual have to show only graphic representation of data without any side effects, it's like a simple brick that we can use to build a report so, trying to cast this brick into a complex construction is definitely bad idea.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors