Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DrillDown in Custom Visual

Hi

Can anyone explain me how drilldown works? How do I use "Click to turn on drilldown" capapbility on drilldown to next level on click of visual element?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

The idea of drilldown in a visual such as the Column Chart in centered around the idea of a hierchy. Therefore you need to add a hierarchy to field Axid feild well. You don't have to actually create a heirarchy though. If you add two or more fields from the same table into the Axis well with a parent child relationship (e.g. state>city>zip), you can get drill down working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @TedPattison! Yes I was successful in doing so and visual is workling as expected. Also wanted to understand if API allows us to understand if "Element Drilldown" capability is enabled or disbled? I need to alter my visual based on that.

OK, I solved the first part of the mystery. I started looking into this and I found that capabilities.json supports a top-level drilldown property. I experiemented by adding the drilldown property to a custom visual I am writing today.

drilldownprop.png

Once I added the drilldown property and associated with a specific data role, I add two fields into the well for the myCategory role and I can see those familiar drilldown buttons showing up.

drilldownbuttons.png

What's cool is that the drilldown buttons on the left work automatically. However, the button on the right does not work automatically. I suspect that the last part of the mystery is figuring out how the visuals API has you attach your code to an event handler so you can respond to the user drilling down on a D3 shape such as a bar or a bubble.

API 1.6.3 doesn't provide full support of 'drilldown' feature.
I recommend you to wait until this feature will be fully supported.
We'll update the documentation and open source code for new version of MekkoChart which uses drilldown.
Nikita Grachev,
Team Leader
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals,
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nikitagrachev Any ETA for this?

Hello @Anonymous,

Drilldown feature is expected to be released this summer.

Nikita Grachev,
Team Leader
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals,
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors