Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gst

Developing custom visuals using Python vs R vs d3.js. Pros and cons of using one over other ?

Hi,

I have been creating visuals through d3.js from last couple of months. However, i recently got to know there are three ways to go on with custom visuals creation. We can use R languange or Python or d3.js. Can anyone clarify the difference in all three approaches. What are the pros and cons of using one over the other ? 

Regards,

Gaurav Tanwar

1 REPLY 1
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hi,

In most cases using of D3 is enough for creating a visual.

There is a sense to use R if you need to work with huge numbers of rows because R visuals have limits up to 150k rows that higher than for D3 visuals, but have some restrictions at the same time. Also, R is a language to work exactly with statistics and data analysis.

Pyhon is a new feature and I suppose that it was added only for those who unfamiliar with frontend development, but it is only my assumption.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.