Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Debugging fetchMoreData in Power BI Desktop?

Hi folks,

I had an implementation of fetchMoreData working in my custom visual back in the 1.x API, but this seemed to break when 2.1 came out and left the feature turned off as a result. Another recent thread inspired me to give this a go in version 2.3. I'm now working on 2.5 but the problem seems to be the same across both versions with a 2 million row dataset.

Back when this first got implemented, I recall the developer visual not working correctly with this method and it had to be tested in Desktop, which worked fine back in 1.13 but I'm now verifying the code and the problem is the other way around - the pattern works fine in the developer visual and loads all 2M rows but just sits there doing nothing in Desktop if I package the visual - it loads the first 30K rows but then doesn't progress any further.

I'm not sure if it's specifically fetchMoreData causing the problems, but if I cap the visual datset to < 30K rows so it doesn't hit this function then it will render successfully... so I'm just looking to investigate this a bit more before I consider submitting a new version of my visual with these changes.

I'm wondering if there's a way to attach a debugger to Power BI Desktop to investigate further? To my knowledge there's no Javascript console I can use and things like alert boxes are (understandably) locked down.

Any ideas welcome! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

4 REPLIES 4
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, Desktop doesn't contain any tools for debugging as I know.

Have you tried to check packed visual in a service or worked with it only as 'Developer visual'?

Is it possible to share source code (or part of it) or/and send pbix file for analysis?

If so, please will send it to pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Hi @v-evelk, and thanks for following up.

I hadn't tried the service test with the packaged visual, so thanks for suggesting. It works as expected in the Service, so looks like it's possibly not something to do with the packaging process and seems specific to Desktop.

I'll follow-up through the email channel - I'll put together a .pbix with the compiled code and a 100K row dataset and there's a branch of the source code that I can provide you with a link to through there as well.

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Hi,

Btw, what version of Desktop do you use? Check please the latest April version, probably it works correctly.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Yup - had already tried April prior to posting. It's the same on March too. I'll follow-up offline, as previously discussed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors