Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tnutrmb

Custom visual gets the update request even if it shouldn't?

Hi,

I have a data model which has for example three tables. Two of them is linked to each other and the third one is not linked to any table (basically orphan).

My custom visual and some other visual shows the data from those two linked tables. The selections between those two visuals works as expected.

But the report has one other visual which shows the data from that orphan table. When I do a selection from that visual powerbi will send the update request (type 2 data) to my custom visual even if the data is not linked. Why is that happening and how do I know that I don't need to update my visual with the data requested by the update?

Br, Tomi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately I am not familiar with all the pitfalls of Power BI, but I suppose that, because of a custom visual works in an isolated sandbox, it isn't aware about where and what exact selection was applied so, there will just be called update with some passed data.

To solve your issue, I suppose, you could use a private field to store a visual state and just check it when update is called to prevent abundant rendering.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately I am not familiar with all the pitfalls of Power BI, but I suppose that, because of a custom visual works in an isolated sandbox, it isn't aware about where and what exact selection was applied so, there will just be called update with some passed data.

To solve your issue, I suppose, you could use a private field to store a visual state and just check it when update is called to prevent abundant rendering.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors