Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Visual Field Formating

I'm working in a custom visual and i need to implement Field Formatting.

I want to store different settings for every metric i have inserted in the visual

like the way it is implemented in matrix visual on power bi

Is there any reference or source code on git hub on how to implement this feature

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Try to use this utility please.

You could check MultiKPI visual repository, for instance, to find how to store and work with a format.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Try to use this utility please.

You could check MultiKPI visual repository, for instance, to find how to store and work with a format.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

If I understand correctly, you're looking to do something like in this thread? Last we heard, this is not supported for custom visuals and only works in the core visuals, which is a shame, as I really, really want to be able to do it myself.

An alternative is to create a formatting field for each measure in the properties pane, which is not as elegant but gets the job done. The tutorial to do something similar is linked in that thread also. I have a couple of examples in a visual I produce that uses the categorical dataViewMapping (which isn't formatting but generates a text field for each category) which I can provide if this would be useful to you? You would use these in a similar way to take a format string and then use TS code to apply the formatting specified in the field. 

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you provide me the code that you mention?

First of all, you should create a formatter.

Here, you should pass a format.

Then, you should call "format" function of the formatter that will return formatted value.

I hope that it will help.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

in the dropdown which i have in the settings in order to select the metric i do not see the names 

of the metrics although i pass them correctly. Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

Hi,

I should see how you set it inside capabilities.json to figure out what is wrong.

I can only suggest that you didn't set "displayName" property for an item as on below picture.

EnumDisplayName.PNG

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors