Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a filter based on diff columns

Hello all,

I want to create a slicer/filter based on the different columns in the dataset and use that custom filter on other visualizations. 

For eg:  my dataset looks like this:

ID   Impressions    Likes   Shares Posts

1       1213              12       10        40

2        13121           1213    40       100

Total Shares: 50

Total Posts: 140

I want a custom filter with these 3 values to choose from: 1) Total Likes 2) Total Shares 3) Total Posts

The chosen filter value will be then used as a text on display or maybe in some other monthly trend visualization. I know that creating a calculated measure may be the way but don't know the next steps. Any assistance will be highly appreciated!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the boards! Just so your're aware, if you post questions related to modelling in either the Desktop or DAX forums rather than this one, there's a lot more traffic there and a lot more ready assistance. This particular forum (Custom Visuals Development) is concerned with using software development tools to extend Power BI's visuals and doesn't get as much traffic as some of the others. This may help direct you if you have further questions like this one, as you can get faster help in future 🙂

Presuming I've understood correctly, you want something like this?

select_measure.gif

If so, here's a simple workbook with your sample data mocked-up, and the measures and additional modelling to do it.

This requires the use of a disconnected table. I'm not going to specifically go into the concept too much, as it's covered in more detail (and better then I can) here:

I've uses the techniques in this post to create with your data, so hopefully you'll find useful. fourmoo are one of many incredible community resources for Power BI so are worth following in general  if you're not aware of them.

Good luck!

Daniel

If my post solves your challenge, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the boards! Just so your're aware, if you post questions related to modelling in either the Desktop or DAX forums rather than this one, there's a lot more traffic there and a lot more ready assistance. This particular forum (Custom Visuals Development) is concerned with using software development tools to extend Power BI's visuals and doesn't get as much traffic as some of the others. This may help direct you if you have further questions like this one, as you can get faster help in future 🙂

Presuming I've understood correctly, you want something like this?

select_measure.gif

If so, here's a simple workbook with your sample data mocked-up, and the measures and additional modelling to do it.

This requires the use of a disconnected table. I'm not going to specifically go into the concept too much, as it's covered in more detail (and better then I can) here:

I've uses the techniques in this post to create with your data, so hopefully you'll find useful. fourmoo are one of many incredible community resources for Power BI so are worth following in general  if you're not aware of them.

Good luck!

Daniel

If my post solves your challenge, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Daniel,

This is fantastic, exactly what is was looking for. Thanks a lot for your time and effort to this solution. 

And thanks for the advice to post relevant posts under relevant sections for more viewability. Will surely follow the same!

Thanks 

Shubham

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors