Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot execute pbiviz --create-cert

Hi

I have previously developed custom visuals using the tools and everything. I need to reinstall and upgrade to the latest version and I am following the tutorial here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/sv-se/power-bi/developer/custom-visual-develop-tutorial

I get to the step:

https://docs.microsoft.com/sv-se/power-bi/developer/custom-visual-develop-tutorial#creating-and-inst...

The command I am supposed to run is:

pbiviz --create-cert

When I run this command I am told that Openssl is not recognized. I do believe this is due to the program not being installed. Said and done, I look into installing Openssl in a responsible manner (as in, not believe everything written on the first google result). To be frank, installing Openssl seems quite complicated.

It would probably be good to update the tutorial with some information on how to install Openssl.

Does anyone have a link to some handy guide to install it?

Best Regards

Magnus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Magnus,

Try to run the following command:

openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout PowerBICustomVisualTest_private.key -out PowerBICustomVisualTest_public.crt -days 365

Pleas let us know whether it helped or not.

We will add this command in our documentation also.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Small update....

My machine -> windows 7

Went ahead and got pbiviz version 3 installed, now I am on version 3.0.12.

Trying to execute the command "pbiviz --install-cert" but I am getting another error now "Unhandled promise rejection". My best guess is that there is still some problem with OpenSSL. I did download the latest binary I could find from a OpenSSL related party (https://indy.fulgan.com/). I have added a directory to the path so that the command "openssl" works in the same directory where I am running the pbiviz command.

This is not working by any standard. How can I find out what pbiviz needs from me to install the cert? The error message does not really mean anything to me, it could be anything for all I can tell.

I personally haven't needed to do this as I'm using Win 10, but the old GitHub documentation has some instructions on installing OpenSSL for Windows 7. Does this help at all? Other than that, we might need one of the team to assist...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Hi Magnus,

Try to run the following command:

openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout PowerBICustomVisualTest_private.key -out PowerBICustomVisualTest_public.crt -days 365

Pleas let us know whether it helped or not.

We will add this command in our documentation also.

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Hi Evgenii

Thank you for the suggestion though I sort of recognized that these problems were not really with the documentation, but rather with me not having upgraded to windows 10, which I have now done, and all the problems have afterwards gove away.

/Magnus

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.