Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

patr0805
Regular Visitor

Cannot add a property to Format->general

Okay I am new to all this and have now spent many hours now trying to fix this problem to no avail. I think its about time I hear if the community has any suggestion.

I am currently writing some custom additions to the Gannt visual (can be found here).

One of those additions is the ability to sort the gantt by name rather than startdate. I have written some code that looks to be working and now I want a boolean property under format->generel such that the user can turn this ON/OFF. I added the following to capabilities.json under objects-> general -> properties.

*Notice that I am including the "groupTasks" property above which was in the file to begin with and was used as a refference. 

"groupTasks": {
                    "displayName": "Group Tasks",
                    "displayNameKey": "Visual_GroupTasks",
                    "type": {
                        "bool": true
                    }
                },
"sortByName": {
                    "displayName": "Sort by name",
                    "displayNameKey": "Visual_SortTasks",
                        "bool": false
                    }
                }

Then added the following to resources.resjson

"Visual_GroupTasks": "Group Tasks",
"Visual_SortTasks": "Sort by name",

This visual uses DataViewObjectsParser for processing the above and give a model accesable by the rest of the code. I added sortByName here as well in settings.ts.

export class GeneralSettings {
        groupTasks: boolean = false;
		sortByName: boolean = false;
        scrollToCurrentTime: boolean = false;
        durationUnit: string = "day";
        durationMin: number = 1;
    }

Now when I search  for "grouptasks", I find that the only other place it was used was as a method under the main file gantt.ts and when it was referenced in the GeneralSettings model above. I therefore cannot see what I am missing. I have tried making an equalent of any mention of groupTasks in all files, but with the name of sortByName, but it still won't appear under format->general in PowerBI desktop..

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found the issue by complete chance, Apparently type must not be false (I thought it was default value) in type in capabilities, so it must be defined like.

}
                },

Now it appears

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @patr0805

You must include "sortByName" into capabilities.json.

Please take a look at the documentation to find out more.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

I found the issue by complete chance, Apparently type must not be false (I thought it was default value) in type in capabilities, so it must be defined like.

}
                },

Now it appears

Hello - it seems that the Gantt visual is now (in the last couple of weeks) sorting the data by Task as a default.  It used to be by Start Date.  I'm a newbie at customizing but is there a quick way to get back to sorting by Start Date?

Thanks.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @kiliman

You can change the default sort order by clicking "..." (3 dots) in the right top corner of Gantt Chart.

After that you will be able to change sort order as you want.

image.png

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Thank you! That was a Doh! moment.  Appreciate it...

Hello - it seems that the Gantt visual is now (in the last couple of weeks) sorting the data by Task as a default.  It used to be by Start Date.  I'm a newbie at customizing but is there a quick way to get back to sorting by Start Date?

Thanks.

As written in my first message, its already included in capabilities.json. I am currently reading your link regarding DataViewObjectsParser as I suspect that there is something strange I am missing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors