Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As Timeline x-axis help

I have been using (successfully) the custom visual "As Timeline" to represent start/stop intervals on a non-time based measurement (measuring a task from start to stop, every day, based on non-sequential linear length).  It's pretty good at working, however today an executive asked very specifically about adding a grid like one might see on a normal graph.  I haven't ever turned this on because when you turn on the x-axis, it shows linear distances as "time" because the visualization is programmed to, I'm guessing, only work with time scales.  Does anyone have any recommendations or replacement options?  The developer has turned off the ability to reach out for support so not sure what to do.

image.png

8 REPLIES 8
v-evelk
Employee
Employee

I am not sure that I clearly understand your issue but it looks like Gantt chart may be suitable for your aim.

There are two such visuals in the store:

- MS Gantt Chart

- Gantt Chart by MAQ Software

Kind Regards,

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer
Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals
pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I am trying to use the "Gantt" custom visualization, but there's a lot of issues.  When in formatting, and I try to toggle on "Group Tasks", it immediately turns it off again without clicking.  Same with other things in the visualization.  Also the axis still shows as time/dates and not a simple 1, 2, 3, 4...

Please clarify the issue with screens and detail description.

What type of Gantt do you try to use, MS Gant or MAQ Software Gantt?

If you need some specific functionality, you always can fork MS Gantt repository, modify it and adjust for your needs.

Also you can describe what features you need in detail and we will add them in our backlog to implement them later.

If you try to use MAQ Software Gantt it will be better to contact them directly to request some new features.

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

MS Gantt

Here are two GIFs.  The first one shows how the x-axis is a date, even though the values in the data are not.

X-axis is wrong.gif

And in this GIF you can see how the toggle "flips back" to the first setting even though I only click to turn it on.

Toggle doesn't stick.gif

Ok, I see.

Could you please send me your report to pbicvsupport@microsoft.com to analyze it more deep?

It may be as like as a bug or just some restrictness.

If it is a bug I will add it into the backlog for the visual.

If it is a some restrictness I will add a new feature request into the backlog for the visual.

Thanks!

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent.

I received the report, thanks.

Looks like Gantt is not suitable for your case so it is definitely better to contact the author of "as Timeline" visual. I checked a support link from the app store and now it workы correctly. However, I haven't found any contacts on this page so, I will ask the author to provide some e-mail or will pass your request somehow else.

Evgenii Elkin,
Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

A Gantt chart won't work, because on a certain task (one band), it will only show one start & one end.  The kind of visualization I'm using/looking for will allow daily logs of start/stop (based on location) and group those together in one band, showing gaps.  So if a task was done from MP1 to MP5 on day one and on day two it was MP6 to MP8, then the band would show a gap from MP5 to MP6.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors