Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

klabir

The Ultimate Waterfall Chart

Hello Everybody!

Let me introduce you today the Ultimate Waterfall Chart, a Custom Visual by Dataviz.boutique, soon available in the gallery. Let’s have a more detailed look on my first example I have prepared. Its not a final dashboard, it just has the charts or features on it I want to explain.

blog1.png

We are looking here at a vertical or so called calculation Waterfall Chart. The status bars represent base and result measures (e.g. sales and EBIT) whereas the contribution bars in between represent the increase or decrease of the measures. It is used for every category, except time series which I would like to explain in the second part of this post later. This vertical Waterfall is also grouped by years. So, it’s a so called small multiple chart.

One single chart is basically multiplied by another Dimension/Column. Since, for example, 1000 USD have is the same bar size/length in all charts. So, a visual comparison is possible -- we call that “same scaling”. The “Blue” bar is a manual added sub total sum. You can change also the color of these types of bars for special highlighting in case you would like to. You can basically change all colors of all bars in this visuals. The default colors follow also the IBCS Colors. Last but not least it is also possible to sort the charts inside the small multiples by the multiplied category.

blog3.PNG

Below you see an example of an horizontal Waterfall Chart which is used for Time Series only. We have here a single Chart (of course, small multiples are also possible) with three subtotals and the total value which each of them represents the year-to-date (YTD) value. This is the sum of 3 months for Quarter 1 in case and the sum of the first 9 month for Q3 YTD.

blog2.png

We are happy to get your feedback and suggestions for enhancements as well. These charts are following the rules of the International Business Communication Standards (IBCS®) http://www.ibcs-a.org/.

blog4.PNG

Comments