Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KarlWat
Frequent Visitor

Replace Values

Hi all,

I want to see if you guys have any feedback and help!

So, I get data from a system that is fed manually, which means that I need to clean up the data before I can really work with it. Below, you see more or less the data I get, over 3 different columns. I need that data to be in a unique row, so the only way I have found to do this is to modify the text inside the columns so I can then split them into rows (same index number). 

This does the job, but it has been bothering me that I have to do all those steps to replace values instead of doing in in one step...

For Context (on the left a simplified source table, on the right the outcome I need:)

PowerQuery.png

and here my whole code:

let

Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Outbound"]}[Content],

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type datetime}, {"Number 1", type text}, {"Number 2", type text}, {"Number 3", type text}}),

#"Removed Blank Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each not List.IsEmpty(List.RemoveMatchingItems(Record.FieldValues(_), {"", null}))),

#"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Blank Rows",{{"Number 1", Text.Trim, type text}, {"Number 2", Text.Trim, type text}, {"Number 3", Text.Trim, type text}}),

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Trimmed Text"," ","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Number 1", "Number 2", "Number 3"}),

#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","/","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Number 1", "Number 2", "Number 3"}),

#"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Replaced Value1",{"Number 1", "Number 2", "Number 3"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged"),

#"Replaced Value2" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Merged Columns","0VIN","0/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"}),

#"Replaced Value3" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value2","1VIN","1/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"}),

#"Replaced Value4" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value3","2VIN","2/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"}),

#"Replaced Value5" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value4","5VIN","5/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"}),

#"Replaced Value6" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value5","4VIN","4/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"}),

#"Replaced Value7" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value6","8VIN","8/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"}),

#"Replaced Value8" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value7","6VIN","6/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"}),

#"Replaced Value9" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value8","9VIN","9/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"}),

#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Replaced Value9", "Index", 1, 1),

#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Index",{"Index", "Date", "Merged"}),

#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Reordered Columns", {{"Merged", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("/", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Merged"),

#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Merged", type text}})

in

#"Changed Type1"

I tried: 

#"AllReplace" = [#"0VIN" = "0/VIN",#"0VIN" = "0/VIN",#"0VIN" = "0/VIN",#"0VIN" = "0/VIN"],

#"ReplacedValue" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Merged Columns", {{Merged, each Record.FieldOrDefault(AllReplace,_,_)}})

in

#"Replaced Value"

But of course, this did not work because I only need a partial match in the value to be replaced. Any pointers to how to approach this - and yes, I am a newbie, so any pointers to resources also are greatly appreciated 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @KarlWat 

v-angzheng-msft_1-1620977773183.png

Is it the steps above that bothers you? Why not try to replace "0VIN" with "VIN" like below:

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Merged Columns","VIN","/VIN",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Merged"})

Then, remove redundant prefixes as needed.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Zeon, 

Thanks for your answer. This definitely saves steps! I guess I didn't want to go this way because when splitting it leaves a blank row, which of course I can filter out, so actually this makes more sense. 

However, I still don't know how to replace in bulk with not exact matches, so will leave this open and see if there is any other person with insight on this!

Thanks,

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Can you post a data sample please?

Hi! So see attached:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j5GRE9-P7Jq2aCRwTBbvgUeYlUrX8ZKdZsfXXbY-l7c/edit?usp=sharing

I tried posting the table here but it continued to mark it as error, then it wouldn't allow me to post then I forgot! anyway, what I do from source file is:

-Delete any spaces, and remove the "/" since I need to add it back in order to split the columns to have 1 number in each row, and sometimes the people who input the data won't add any "/" so the best I can do is have a string of numbers that go after the "VIN" letters, and the replace orders is basically running from 0 to 9  to add the "/" back so I can split columns.... any other way of doing it is appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.