Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ellde39p
Frequent Visitor

Error when loading CRM data into Power BI

I receive an error when I try to either:

1. Apply Query changes or

2. Load Microsoft CRM 2015 data

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error:[DataSource.NotFound] OData: Request failed (404): The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.. OLE DB or ODBC error:[DataSource.NotFound] OData: Request failed (404):"

This error does not occur when I choose the 'Edit' option (instead of the 'Load' option) when selecting a CRM table/view. ie. the table successfully loads into Power BI and I can manipulate fields etc.  This would indicate that it is not an issue with the OData connection but perhaps something else?

8 REPLIES 8
ianbarker
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @ellde39p

I've seen this error too when "applying" the queries.

What steps have you added to your query(s)?

Hi Ian,

My only step is to navigate to the table.  If I take out this navigation step, the message "There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied" goes away.  I want to be able to load the table (it only has 18 records in the table).

Regards,

Derek

Hey Derek,

That's correct, you don't want to remove the navigation step. I just wasn't sure if you had any additional steps, such as merges that may be causing the issue, but that doesn't sound like the case.

I have one more suggestion. Click on File > Options and Settings > Data Source Settings.

You will then hopefully see a single data source for your CRM instance.

Double click on this and a screen will open. In this screen there should be an option to specify your your login details. It's possible that even though you've already logged in at some point, your details aren't being asscoiated with your data source. There will be an option to edit or enter your login details for CRM. Obviously make sure you are using a login that has appropriate permissions in CRM.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I tried removing and re-creating the login details for the 2 URL connection strings and then clicked the 'Apply Updates' button, but the same error occurs.  I am using the 'Organisational' login account for both.

It is odd that I can use the 'Load' option for some CRM 2015 tables but not others.

Any more suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Derek

My only other suggestion would be to try doing the same thing from another machine to see if it makes a difference.

I'm not sure if doing it from a VM is an option for you?

Other than that, I'd click the frown button and send the details to Microsoft.

As I mentioned, I've hit the same issue myself with CRM and never really got to the bottom of it.

Thanks Ian,

I have tried on my boss's PC with BI installed and received the same errors.

Sorry to ask but where do I find the 'Frown' icon to click?  (this is my first post)

Regards,

Derek

Bummer. I know how frustrating it can be.

Top left hand corner of the screen there's a little smily face. If you click on it, a drop-down appears and there's a sad face which says "Send a Frown".

When you click on it, it will generate an email for you with a load of data related to your PBIX file.

You can also add additional screenshots and supporting info.

According to our software supplier... 

The Rest API is not available in CRM 2015 Online and so this option may not be available until we upgrade to CRM 2016.

As this appears to be an MS bug there is not a lot I can do to support this at the moment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors