Frequent Visitor

Dynamic row-level security

I have successfully created a role in Power BI to control access to the content of my report using the DAX script below:

SWITCH(

TRUE(),

[SecuredAccessType] = "Full Access", 1=1,

[SecuredAccessType] = "Standard Access", 1=1,

[SecuredAccessType] = "Limited Access" && [SecuredOfficeGroupAccessType] = "See Data of All Office Groups", 1=1,

[SecuredAccessType] = "Limited Access" && [SecuredOfficeGroupAccessType] <> "See Data of All Office Groups", DimOriginatingOffice[Office Group] = [SecuredOfficeGroup],

1=1

)

I have now been told that under some conditions, it would be great if they can turn the role on and off. I have created slicer with two values to handle this – Secured and Unsecured.I also created a Measure to capture the selected value of the slicer as shown below:

SecuredMode = SELECTEDVALUE('Report Mode'[ReportMode])

I then simply wrapped a simple IF statement around my DAX to handle this as shown below:

IF ([SecuredMode] = "Secured",

SWITCH(

TRUE(),

[SecuredAccessType] = "Full Access", 1=1,

[SecuredAccessType] = "Standard Access", 1=1,

[SecuredAccessType] = "Limited Access" && [SecuredOfficeGroupAccessType] = "See Data of All Office Groups", 1=1,

[SecuredAccessType] = "Limited Access" && [SecuredOfficeGroupAccessType] <> "See Data of All Office Groups", DimOriginatingOffice[Office Group] = [SecuredOfficeGroup]

), 1=1)

To my surprise, it appears that my slicer selection does not get recognised as no matter how many times I change the selection, my role expression always resolve to the default value of my IF statement.

Is this a limitation in POWER BI or am I doing something wrong?