Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MaxBre
Frequent Visitor

Drill Down in Power BI Dashboard Not Working but in Reporting area?

I have a stacked coloumn chart in which I enabled the drill down option. Whenever i do a right click on one of the bars in the chart or press on the arrow in the top right and then on one of the bars in the chart the drill down works fine in the reporting area. However, as soon as I pin the report to a Dashboard I am not able to drill down into a specific bar in the chart, only a general drill down with all the data. Could someone please help me out? It all works fine in the reporting area but not in the Dashboard area.

5 REPLIES 5
OmarSanchez

Hello,

There is a workaround for this, if your project and your organization allows this, when you share a report (where the drill down is still active) through a sharepoint site, the drill down functionality is still available. I have tested this a couple times and users love the drill down functionality available for them.

Omar Sánchez

omarsanchez@hp.com

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@MaxBre

Dashboards are meant to provide an overview of the content that is available. Clicking on a tile redirects to the origin of that tile (i.e. a report page). So by sharing a dashboard with someone, you are giving them access to the report in "reading view" only, as in they can't see all of the tables and stuff, just what's on the dashboard.

With that being said, I'm able to reproduce your issue of being able to select "drill down" but nothing happens while on a dashboard, whereas "Expand All" works just fine.

It might be better practice to just have essential information like numbers and graphs showing trends on a dashboard where other detailed information such as using slicers to slice and dice data should be reserved for the reporting view.

djohnson
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am having the same issue and have submitted a support ticket to Microsoft without response [yet]. Which is frustrating since we are paying for the Pro product. Since you can't give users access to the report (on pbi web), and my users are all mac users (which microsoft has not provided a desktop platform for) - I am out in the cold (like yourself) as this is CRUCIAL functionality for the reports. Getting used to PBI's crude BETA/Community experience is frustrating to my coworkers and embarrasing for me

That being said: I did find one [rather poor] workaround - using Jan Pieter Posthuma's Heirarchy Slicer (ver 0.6 at current). However, this DOES NOT support Visual level filtering, not does it support multi-selecting. 

David

Hi David,

I have also submitted a ticket to microsoft, however they have just tried to brush it off and say it works fine for them. I persisted and they are doing further research. There is another post in which people complained about the drill down option not working in the dashboard and that this needs to be fixed since like you said it is crucial!!! Aparently it has worked in april but for some reason it doesnt anymore. If you find out anything from your supprot ticket please let me know.

I have a solution to colleagues having full access the report via pbi web. If you expand my workspace you can create a 'Group Workspace'. Once you created the group you can then create a content package in settings in which you invite your people. In the content package you put in the reports, data sets, dashboardsyou want. Now the important step. Once you have the rpeort etc. in the group you need to make a copy of the reports and then just delete the originals in the group. This way your colleagues can edit the reports and have full access.

Max

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this issue resolved. I am having similar issue, what's on the dashboard cannot be drilled down, you need to again go to reports and it gets enabled.

However the query that I have is when you share it via web through file>Publish to web all the options work fine but this is kind of open to the world without any security or access restrictions.

Need Help Microsoft

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.