Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

A few comments about this community site

First, I can't find questions from the old forums on these forums.

Second, the site doesn't work in IE11, what's up with that?

Third, where in the world is the search functionality? Who launches a website these days without search functionality?

Fourth, it seems like our profiles and points do not transfer or that there is any integration between the Technet Forum accounts and these accounts which is pretty lame.

Fifth, are you sure you couldn't have made the header at the top take up three quarters of the screen versus just have, seems like you're just not trying.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

First, I can't find questions from the old forums on these forums.

Second, the site doesn't work in IE11, what's up with that?

Third, where in the world is the search functionality? Who launches a website these days without search functionality?

Fourth, it seems like our profiles and points do not transfer or that there is any integration between the Technet Forum accounts and these accounts which is pretty lame.

Fifth, are you sure you couldn't have made the header at the top take up three quarters of the screen versus just have, seems like you're just not trying.

Latest book!:

Thanks for the feedback @Greg_Deckler. We got a lot of it over the first few weeks we've been live and we understand the frustration that some of users have.

To adress your specific concerns:

• Old forums: We are working to try and migrate the content as hard as we can but for now we are not 100% we'll be able to do it. For that reason even though we froze the old forums, the content is still available
  • IE11: We'll investigate, but in our testing no issues were flagged. If there's any way you can attach an image or logs to solve this problem, we will be forever grateful
  • Search: The "Ask a Question" bar also has search functionality when you are typing you're question. We understand that this could be confusing so we'll explore other ways to surface this or include search functionality.
  • Profiles and Points: that is correct and this is related to the first issue. We are still exploring options but for we are 100% we'll be able to do it. If that's the case, we are exploring ways of rewarding previous behaviour on the old forums.
  • Header: is this concern about our mobile site? Top nav should only take up to 20 to 25% of the fold. If possible, please give us more details so we can fix the issue as soon as possible.

Thanks again and please let us know if you have more feedback.

Data for Everyone! We mean it

MiguelMartinez mentioned you in Microsoft Power BI Community

I get that the Ask A Question does some rudimentary search, but that is not intuitive and certainly does not approach key word search with a list of results with blurbs about what is actually in the result versus just the question.

As for 20-25%, this is a screen shot of my Surface Pro 3 using Windows 8.1 and Chrome (because IE 11 doesn't render correctly):

sucks1.png

I may have exaggerated by claiming 50%, but that is at over 33% of the screen if not more and the question is why? The lines are mine for measuring purposes. There's no UI reason to have so much screen real estate taken up by uselessness. Everything between the top links and the "Microsoft Power BI Community" can go away as well as most of what is beneath it, and then there is all that white space between the yellow and anything useful in the white. If you really get down to it, the first 3 lines after the yellow part should be totally collapsed or far less onerous. If you include all of the uselessness down to the "New Message" button, easily half the screen.

As for IE 11, here is a screen shot of that debacle, basically a complete train wreck and unusable. I noticed this during registration (don't get me started) when I had to use Chrome.
sucks2.png

Latest book!:

I was able to resolve the IE 11 issue, turns out that at some point in the past due to an incompatibility, which I still have to go check on whether it is still an issue, I had turned on "Compatibility View" for powerbi.com.  Turning that off fixed the issue. Now I have to go check actual powerbi.com and see if I can still use it in IE 11 with that turned off. Stay tuned.

Latest book!:

Thanks again @Greg_Deckler

We'll take this feeback back to our design and web teams to check what we can do.

Saty tuned! I'll update this thread when we have some resolutions to these issues.

Correction on IE 11, it renders now, just can't actually post anything, the little blinky cursor never apperas in this text box and nothing I do seems to allow me to type into this box.  Currently using Chrome, which I despise. Irksome. This was when trying to post a new message topic btw.

Latest book!:

Nevermind, false alarm, just have to click very specifically in the top "top row" and nowhere else in the box, got it, my bad. Works the same in Chrome which I can close now.

Latest book!:

Hey @Greg_Deckler

We've been working on your feedback for the community site so I wanted to give you an update.

For the header, we've reduced the real state being used by it and we belive it looks way better.

Regarding search capability besides the ask a question bar, we are trying to get it out there as soon as possible.

Stay tuned for further updates and please let us know what you think.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors