Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

mattkocak

Turn your cards into slicers with the Slicer Button custom visual

Hey all,

If you're like me, then at some point you've wanted to use a card visual in Power BI as a slicer/filter.

Yes, this can in a way be done natively through bookmarks, but there are some drawbacks to this. Bookmarks might affect other filters that you already have in place and you can't select multiple bookmarks at the same time. Similarly, making other clickable/interactive visuals look like a card might not turn out as attractive as you hope and just feels hacky.

If you want to avoid these drawbacks and have clicking your card function more similarly to the slicer visual, then you're in luck as I just developed a custom visual for this! It's called Slicer Button and allows you to apply multiple slicers at the same time with a simple click.

In the example case described above, we simply use it as a transparent overlay on a card, which then gives the card the appearance of the ability to slice data.

Using Slicer Button on CardUsing Slicer Button on Card

A YouTube video is linked below that demonstrates how to download and use the visual as well as the GitHub repository that is hosting the visual.

Basic Setup & Use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2QoE8M2yA&ab_channel=MattKocak

GitHub Repository: https://github.com/mattkocak/powerbi-visuals-slicerbutton

Additionally, below are two YouTube videos that demonstrate ways to extend the Slicer Button's usage.

As you may have noticed, this visual has the potential to make any static object sliceable, not just cards. Give it a shot!

Please let me know if there are any questions or comments about this development. I'm happy to clarify or address anything.

Best,

Matt

Comments