Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

ruthpozuelo

Track your AdWords performance with Power BI (Part I)

Track your AdWords performance with Power BI (Part I)

In this tutorial I will show you how to track your Adwords performance using the data available in Google Analytics.

To be able to recreate this dashboard you need:

This dasboard is the first part of a series of blog posts on how to track and improve adwords performance.

In Part 1, we will start tracking our Ads to understand which ones are performing well and which ones we need to: either cancel or modify.

On coming series, once we have identified which Ads are underperforming, we will learn how to modify them to increase their performance.

What insights can we get with this dashboard?

AdwordsPart1.png

In this dashbord you will be able to understand:

• Which Ads are most successful
  • Which Network has performed best
  • Cost of your Ads and revenues
  • What needs to be improved to achieve more goals.

Watch it on youtube1.png

If you would like to see a live version of the dashboard, you can watch it in our YouTube Channel, but if you prefer text, continue reading.

Download the Power BI file & Dashboard guide

Don't want to create the Power BI file? If you are a member on our site (it's free), you can download it by following this link. You will also get there an indepth explanation on how to use/interprete the dashboard.

You will need also to change the data source from my account to your Google account.

Do you need help creating the file or setting up your account? Contact me for more details.

Creating the dashboard: Get Data

Before you can start creating this dashboard you need to have Power BI Desktop installed (it’s FREE) and connect to Google Analytics. Once you have done that, we can start importing the data in Power BI.

Let’s do it, open Power Bi Desktop and click on “Get Data”:

image003.png

Select Google Analytics and click “Connect”:

image004.png

Select your account, property, and view:

image005.png

(Click on the links for a definition of what those metrics and dimensions mean):

From the Time folder select:

From the AdWords folder select:

From the Goal Conversion folder select:

From the Ecommerce folder select:

**Goal Tracking

You are running Ads because you want to achieve something: Want to increase traffic to your website? Or increase sales, conversions, or ROI? Raise brand awareness?

Depending on which Goal you want to track, you will need to download the specific goal metric into power bi.

This site is running ads to get more member signups, and those goals are tracked in Goal 2 in google analytics. To keep a close eye on the member signups, we will dowload them and track them separately.

Rename the table “AdWords” and click on “Close and Apply”

Building the Dashboard

Now that we have all the data we need, lets start building the dashboard.

For this dashboard we don’t need to create any measure (amazing, eh?).Smiley Happy

Create the visualizations

Let’s build the visualizations.

The filter visualizations (AdGroup, and Ad Distribution Network😞

image007.png

are standard power BI filters with a horizontal orientation:

image008.png

And the card visualizations (dimensions and metrics from left to ritght: Costs, Product Revenue, Goal Completions, Goal 2 Completions, Impressions, Clicks, Goal 2 abanndoned funnels,

image009.png

Are also starndard power bi card visual:

image010.png

For the “natural language” text, you can watch this image002.png video to learn how to create them:

And your dashboard is complete!

Happy Analyzing!

Comments

Hi, i can't download the Power BI file. Is this link correct?

Fixed the link, Please try again.

/Ruth