The Power BI Community is Making Changes: More Details!

by Administrator await on ‎10-24-2018 06:35 PM - last edited on ‎11-02-2018 06:40 AM by Administrator vrisch

On October 31, we're rolling out a big change to the Power BI community. We’re streamlining the sign-in process – once you’re signed in to Power BI, you’ll be signed into the community. No need to keep track of separate passwords or credentials. Don’t worry – your Badges, Kudos, Solutions, etc., will all carry over. We’re just making sure the Power BI Community experience is aligned with Microsoft security standards, which means implementing ‘single sign on’ and associating your community account with either your Power BI Service account or your AAD (Azure Active Directory) account.  This is the first in a series of improvements planned for the Power BI community over the next few months.

TYPES OF EMAIL ACCOUNTS:

When you registered for the Power BI community, your user name was associated with an email address, which generally fall under the following types:

• Organizational Account (Microsoft.com, .gov, etc.)
  • Personal account (Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)

If you registered with an organizational account, please go straight to ‘First Time Log In’ (below).

If you already have an organizational account but have used a different account to register for the Community, please go straight to ‘First Time Log In’ (below).

If you did not register with an organizational account and don't have one, don’t worry. It’s fast and easy (and free!) to create one. More details are right here.  Once you've created your account, please follow the ‘First Time Log In’ process as outlined below. When you create an account in this manner, you’ll no longer be able to receive email notifications from the community. Also, the account will require 'onmicrosoft.com' at the end.

Questions or problems?  Checkout this blog:  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/SSO-FAQ-s/ba-p/559224

OR

Send us an email at the following:

SSO Mailer Image.jpg

FIRST TIME LOG IN:

Steps you’ll need to follow the first time you log in after October 31:

• Navigate to the Power BI Community and click Sign In as normal.
  • You’ll be sent to a temporary page notifying you to link your Community account with your Organizational account, as seen below. Click “Sign in to your organizational account.”

Org Account Page 20181026.JPG

• Enter your organizational email account, then click ‘Next'.

Org Account 2.jpg

• You’ll then be directed to the following screen, similar to the normal Community log-in page:

Associate Account Page.png

• Log in with community account, using your existing username and password. This step associates your organizational account with your existing Community credentials.
  • Done!  You are signed into the Community.

SUBSEQUENT LOG INS:

After you link your organizational account and your Community account, you'll need to do the following:

1. Navigate to the community and click Sign In as normal.
  2. You will be sent to a temporary page advising you to sign in with your organizational account (as seen above)
  3. Log in with your organizational account 
  4. Done!  You are signed into the Community

NEW COMMUNITY MEMBERS:

New community members, please do the following:

1. Navigate to the community
  2. Click Register
  3. Enter your Organizational credentials
  4. Select your community user name
  5. Done!  You are signed into community

Answers to a few potential questions ...

What if a user has multiple accounts? Do they end up having to abandon the other one or can the accounts be merged? 

• There is no option for merging community accounts, and the Power BI Service account will now be the sign in for the community experience as well.  If they have different Power BI Service accounts, the community follows.

Would users be able to change what Org account is associated with their account through the user settings? Like if they moved companies but want to keep using the same community account?

• The community manager can assist with this change.

Is there any way existing users can choose to keep their accounts unlinked and still continue to use the community?

• Short answer: No.  They can read the community without logging in, but they will not be able to post without signing in to their Power BI Service (which gets them in the community).

If you run into problems with the process and need to send us an email, please include any detail you can, including the time and time zone, email address you have tried to link, browser, screen shots, etc. This will help us solve your problem more quickly.

Again, we hope this provides you value moving forward. The process will be simpler and you will be able to align your community and organizational experience.

Thank you, and please comment here with any questions you may have.

Comments
by mim Member
on ‎10-25-2018 06:06 PM

sorry, please clarify, if someone don't have an organization account, can he register too, I know a lot of people who use only the desktop without any use of the service ?

by Administrator await
on ‎10-26-2018 02:24 PM

HI Mim,

You can absolutely still register for the community! Please follow the directions here (also mentioned above) to create an AAD account which you can then link to your current user name and password.

Thanks,

Allison

by cnicola Occasional Visitor
on ‎10-27-2018 07:04 PM

If I understand this correctly, this a very bad idea and I dont see the point of it. 

I actually am a Microsoft Partner and I have a number of MS related account (My own partner domain, my O365 account, a number of demo accounts for MS products and then a number of accounts I use from my clients to be able to do Power BI work for them).

I can get away with that by using InPrivate browsing so I dont get all of them stored and get them all mixed up. 

Are you saying that now I will have to be locked into one login just so I can be on the POwer BI community website???????!!!!!

by Administrator vrisch
on ‎10-29-2018 08:09 AM

@cnicola You will still be able to view all public content without logging into the community as it is today.  However, if you want to post in the community you will need to sign into the community with an AAD account.  Feel free to PM me to understand your use case in more detail if there is still a concern.  Thanks!

by pmdci Member
‎11-01-2018 04:03 AM - edited ‎11-01-2018 04:05 AM

Come on guys... This page is way too convoluted and many of us don't have to time to read it all. I would make it more succint and to the point. Particularly the part about migrating the existing community account to an Azure AD account.

In fact then the user clicks to sign-in, I would add an explanation that users that have signed-in with an non Azure AD account would be able to migrate their previous community account as soon as they sign-in with their Azure AD account.

by pmdci Member
on ‎11-01-2018 04:14 AM

On another note... Is there a way to change the account to another Azure AD? I used my organisation's AD, but I forgot that I have a personal Azure AD account which I would like to use instead.

by stretcharm Senior Member
on ‎11-02-2018 11:02 AM

I'm not a fan of this change. For some reason my work account would not work. I just went back to the same screen when I used sign in or register.

I was able after quite a bit of faf to get an AD user setup against my hotmail. I'm not unable to use my work account and access the forum without logging out. So the need to keep changing accounts will lead me to use the forum much less.

by Administrator vrisch
on ‎11-02-2018 12:47 PM

@stretcharm have you sent a support email to the email address indicated above?  Please include any screenshots as well as your community username.  Thanks!

by stretcharm Senior Member
on ‎11-02-2018 01:53 PM

No I didn't send a support email as I got something working. I think its best not to be tied to my work account anyway. I'll send an email with the details anyway to help you understand what went wrong.

by PSEJR Visitor
on ‎11-05-2018 02:00 AM

With this new link to my organization account, what happens when I change organization? - Will I then loose my current account, and thereby start over with a new one?

by Administrator vrisch
on ‎11-05-2018 04:40 AM

@PSEJR you will not loose your exisitng account.  You can contact us and we can assist with getting your new organization account linked to your existing community account.

by dthuler Frequent Visitor
on ‎11-06-2018 11:58 PM

I am working for a service company but have to work on credentials created by customers (meaning I may change domain every 2 to 3 years or so) so this is definitively a no-go for me to raise a support ticket everytime I change of customers hence of credentials. Do you have a solution for that specific case? Best, David

by MariaP Regular Visitor
on ‎11-07-2018 05:33 PM

Hi all,

Not all Power BI Community users want to link their work accounts with their community profile. 

Receiving community emails at to a work email is not always a good thing for many users and companies.

My community feedback was offered in my own time under my private email.  Many users are also contractors and change work emails often. Yes, I know  you have a solution for this by emailing you.

We should have the option to use personal emails if we want and not be forced to use company emails to contribute to a community forum.

Thank you,

MP

by Administrator await
on ‎11-08-2018 02:56 PM

Hello @MariaP and @dthuler, as mentioned above and detailed here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/charles_sterling/2018/10/15/creating-a-new-azure-active-directory/, you may create an AAD account separate from your work account or any of your client accounts and use that to access the community. This can then be mapped to your current community profile.

Thanks,

Allison

by MariaP Regular Visitor
on ‎11-08-2018 07:13 PM

Hi @Allison,

Thanks fo the information, I had not read this. I have created AAD account and emailed support to link my profile to the new AAD account.

Maria 

by dthuler Frequent Visitor
‎11-09-2018 02:00 AM - edited ‎11-09-2018 02:02 AM

Hi @await,

Thanks for pointing out the AAD creation possibility, I will carefully look at it.

Will it be possible to get a way to manage the business account(s) linked to our profile in the future (from the profile page for example)? It would be nice.

Have a nice day,

David