On October 31, we're rolling out a big change to the Power BI community. We’re streamlining the sign-in process – once you’re signed in to Power BI, you’ll be signed into the community. No need to keep track of separate passwords or credentials. Don’t worry – your Badges, Kudos, Solutions, etc., will all carry over. We’re just making sure the Power BI Community experience is aligned with Microsoft security standards, which means implementing ‘single sign on’ and associating your community account with either your Power BI Service account or your AAD (Azure Active Directory) account. This is the first in a series of improvements planned for the Power BI community over the next few months.
TYPES OF EMAIL ACCOUNTS:
When you registered for the Power BI community, your user name was associated with an email address, which generally fall under the following types:
- Organizational Account (Microsoft.com, .gov, etc.)
- Personal account (Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
If you registered with an organizational account, please go straight to ‘First Time Log In’ (below).
If you already have an organizational account but have used a different account to register for the Community, please go straight to ‘First Time Log In’ (below).
If you did not register with an organizational account and don't have one, don’t worry. It’s fast and easy (and free!) to create one. More details are right here. Once you've created your account, please follow the ‘First Time Log In’ process as outlined below. When you create an account in this manner, you’ll no longer be able to receive email notifications from the community. Also, the account will require 'onmicrosoft.com' at the end.
Questions or problems? Checkout this blog: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/SSO-FAQ-s/ba-p/559224
Send us an email at the following:
FIRST TIME LOG IN:
Steps you’ll need to follow the first time you log in after October 31:
- Navigate to the Power BI Community and click Sign In as normal.
- You’ll be sent to a temporary page notifying you to link your Community account with your Organizational account, as seen below. Click “Sign in to your organizational account.”
- Enter your organizational email account, then click ‘Next'.
- You’ll then be directed to the following screen, similar to the normal Community log-in page:
- Log in with community account, using your existing username and password. This step associates your organizational account with your existing Community credentials.
- Done! You are signed into the Community.
SUBSEQUENT LOG INS:
After you link your organizational account and your Community account, you'll need to do the following:
- Navigate to the community and click Sign In as normal.
- You will be sent to a temporary page advising you to sign in with your organizational account (as seen above)
- Log in with your organizational account
- Done! You are signed into the Community
NEW COMMUNITY MEMBERS:
New community members, please do the following:
- Navigate to the community
- Click Register
- Enter your Organizational credentials
- Select your community user name
- Done! You are signed into community
Answers to a few potential questions ...
What if a user has multiple accounts? Do they end up having to abandon the other one or can the accounts be merged?
- There is no option for merging community accounts, and the Power BI Service account will now be the sign in for the community experience as well. If they have different Power BI Service accounts, the community follows.
Would users be able to change what Org account is associated with their account through the user settings? Like if they moved companies but want to keep using the same community account?
- The community manager can assist with this change.
Is there any way existing users can choose to keep their accounts unlinked and still continue to use the community?
- Short answer: No. They can read the community without logging in, but they will not be able to post without signing in to their Power BI Service (which gets them in the community).
If you run into problems with the process and need to send us an email, please include any detail you can, including the time and time zone, email address you have tried to link, browser, screen shots, etc. This will help us solve your problem more quickly.
Again, we hope this provides you value moving forward. The process will be simpler and you will be able to align your community and organizational experience.
Thank you, and please comment here with any questions you may have.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.