SSO FAQs

by Administrator vrisch on ‎11-02-2018 06:39 AM - last edited on ‎12-04-2018 05:31 PM by Administrator jfeil

Here are some FAQs to help you troubleshoot your sign-in challenges .

Q:  I am getting a message that says "Need admin approval".  Power BI Community needs permission to access resources in your organization that only an admin can grant.

A: Follow these directions to have your tenant admin grant consent to the "Power BI Community" application.

Q:  I tried signing in with my organization email account, but I am not taken to a screen with my login ID.

A: Microsoft is not allowing access to the Power BI Community because your organization is in an unmanaged state. An administrator needs to claim ownership of the company by DNS validation before the application Power BI Community can be provisioned.

In the meantime you can create a new (temporary) AAD account and then sign in to the community with that AAD account, if you do not want to be blocked from creating posts in the community. (Instructions are attached below.) Once your Tenant Admin resolves the issue on your side, please let us know. We can then re-map your actual AAD account back to the community profile. You will not lose any of your contributions (posts/kudos/ etc.) in this process.

Q:  If someone doesn't have an organization account, can he register for the community? I know a lot of people who use only the desktop without any use of the service?

A: You can absolutely still register for the community! You can create an Azure Active Directory (AAD) account which you can then link to your current user name and password. Instructions are attached below.

Q:  Once I create my new AAD account, will I continue to receive email notifications regarding the Power BI community?

A:  No, when you create an account in this manner, you’ll no longer be able to receive email notifications from the community.

Q:  So if we change jobs, and thus our org account, or we are temporarily without an account that has Power BI access, since you still cannot use Gmail and Outlook.com emails for Power BI, what happens then?  Even if we do have immediate access to a new org account that is valid, how do we change email addresses? I couldn't see anything in my profile settings.

A: If you did not register with an organizational account and don't have one, don’t worry. It’s fast and easy (and free!) to create an organizational account. Instructions are attached below.

Q:  With this new link to my organization account, what happens when I change organizations? - Will I then loose my current account, and thereby have to start over with a new one?

A: You will not loose your exisitng account. You can contact us and we can assist with getting your new organization account linked to your existing community account.

Q:  What if a user has multiple accounts? Do they end up having to abandon the other one or can the accounts be merged?

A: There is no option for merging community accounts, and the Power BI Service account will now be the sign in for the community experience as well. If they have different Power BI Service accounts, the community follows.

Q:  Is there any way existing users can choose to keep their accounts unlinked and still continue to use the community?

A: Short answer: No. They can read the community without logging in, but they will not be able to post without signing in to their Power BI Service (which gets them in the community).

Q: I am caught in a loop. When I try to log into my Power BI account, I am taken back to the community home page.

A: Please try clearing your cache.

Q:  When I try to log into the Power BI, I keep getting a 500 Error.

A: Your account may be mapped incorrectly. You can contact the community manager. When sending emails, please include as much detail as possible (i.e.: time and time zone, email address you have tried to link, browser, screen shots, etc). It would also help to send in a log file (instructions attached below). This will help us solve your problem more quickly.

Q:  I feel I've done everything correctly and I still can't log in. What should I do?

A: You can contact the community manager. When sending emails, please include as much detail as possible (i.e.: time and time zone, email address you have tried to link, browser, screen shots, etc). It would also help to send in a log file (instructions attached below). This will help us solve your problem more quickly.