Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TedPattison

Power BI Dev Camp - update on Deep Dive for Power BI JavaScript API + Session 4 info on 11/19

It's exciting. We're starting to build up some momentum with our monthly Power BI Dev Camp sessions. Last week I presented our third session titled Deep Dive into the Power BI JavaScript API. If anyone wants to review the PowerPoint slide deck, they can download them from here. I also wanted to share links to two developer sample projects that I used during the demos in last week's session. At the bottom of this post I have also included the questions from last week's session on the Power BI JavaScript API along with answers.

At the end of last week's session, I demoed a new Power BI embedding developer sample project named Power BI Embedding SPA which can be viewed or downloaded from this GitHub repository.  I created this project to show developers how to build a simple single page application (SPA) for Power BI embedding using modern development tools including Node.js, webpack, TypeScript and jQuery. This project also uses Microsoft's newest client-side library for Azure AD authentication named MSAL-Browser to implement authentication, token acquisition and token caching. Note that this sample uses jQuery to create the user experience for a simple SPA. In the December session of Power BI Dev Camp, we will build on this by introducing a new sample project that uses React.js instead of jQuery to provide a much better platform for developing SPAs.

The other sample application I showed in last week's session was Power BI Embedded Scratchpad which can be viewed or downloaded from this GitHub repository. This sample project is a C# console application which generates HTML files containing access tokens and the JavaScript code required to implement various client-side programming techniques for Power BI embedding. While you can download this project and get it running on your own PC, you can also just examine the LivePages folder to view all the code examples online. You'll find some useful Power BI embedding examples such as Custom Toolbar, Bookmark Carousel , White Label Loading, Custom Export Command and Visual Inspector.

Join us for Power BI Dev Camp! on Thursday, 19 November, 2020 at 11:00 AM-12:00 noon PST.

What's in store for our November session? Renown DAX expert, Phil Seamark, will teach campers how to query and modify Power BI datasets using C#, Visual Studio Code and the Tabular Object Model (TOM). Campers will learn to connect to local data models running in Power BI Desktop as well as data models running in Premium workspaces in the Power BI Service using the XMLA endpoint. Just imagine how much better your life would be if you could automate those tedious modeling tasks in Power BI Desktop such as adding measures, calculated tables and RLS roles!