Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

TedPattison

Power BI Dev Camp First Session Video + Session 2: September 24th Details

Prior to joining Microsoft, I spent 25 years training developers and contributing to Microsoft developer communities. When I joined the Power BI Customer Advisory Team (CAT) earlier this year, I looked for a way to contribute to the Power BI community as I did in my previous life as a Power BI MVP.  I am especially grateful to Kelly Kaye and Sandy Rivas in the Power BI community who helped me bring Power BI Dev Camp to life as a monthly webinar series.

I am thrilled to announce that the video from our first Power BI Dev Camp session titled Developing for Power BI using .NET Core is now available on the Power BI community video gallery.

PBIDC1.png

This video is accompanied by a hands-on tutorial which teaches campers how to implement Users-Owns-Data embedding with .NET Core 3.1 and Microsoft's newest authentication library, Microsoft.Identity.Web. The tutorial also teaches developers how to migrate from JavaScript to TypeScript when programming the Power BI JavaScript API. We've also made the PowerPoint slides from the session available for download for anyone who wants to review the advanced developer topics and code covered in the video.

So, what's next?

At Power BI Dev Camp, we're excited about our next session titled Writing PowerShell Scripts for Power BI which will run on Thursday, September 24th. In this camp session, we'll explore how to get started writing and testing PowerShell scripts to automate common administrative tasks in a Power BI environment. We'll begin by introducing the Power BI cmdlets library and discussing the various ways to authenticate both as a user and as a service principal. Campers will learn how to use PowerShell to automate common tasks such as uploading PBIX files, patching datasource credentials, updating dataset parameters and refreshing datasets.

The session will also explore advanced scripting techniques using the Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod cmdlet which makes it possible to call Power BI Service API operations directly. Campers will learn how to parse together REST URLs for the Power BI Service API and to convert PowerShell objects into JSON to populate the body of an HTTP request. This, in turn, will allow campers to write PowerShell scripts that take full advantage of what the Power BI Service API has to offer.

What Campers Will Learn:

• Install the Power BI cmdlet library for PowerShell
  • Authenticate to the Power BI Service as a User and as a Service Principal
  • Write scripts to create new workspaces and to manage workspace users
  • Write scripts to upload PBIX files, patch datasource credentials and refresh datasets
  • Call Power BI Service API operations directly using Invoke-PowerBiRestMethod
  • Export event activity from the Power BI activity log to monitor usage

Session Prerequisites: To make the most of this session, it is recommended (but not required) that campers have prior experience writing and testing PowerShell scripts using the Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE).

We hope to see you there. Stay safe and stay hungry.

PowerShellIsFun.png

Comments