Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EnterpriseDNA

Power BI Challenge 3 - Wrap Up!

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all keeping well.

Another week passes and another challenge draws to a close.

The standard of work was impeccable, and it's great to see so many different techniques and styles.

One of the amazing things around the challenge is the variety of participants and their backgrounds. Sharing thoughts and ideas from individuals with different backgrounds and expertise allows us to improve our vision of what’s possible and how we can sometimes see the same problem in a different light.

I want to give a quick shout-out to one of Enterprise DNA’s Forum members and Experts, Brian Julius, who, although he couldn’t complete the challenge, made an excellent post in the forum around reliability and validity. I would highly recommend you take time out and have a read. Thanks, Brian Julius, for the share. Not something I’ve come across before but will definitely be taking forward.

This is exactly what the challenge is about learning from each other’s experience and improving the quality of our work.

I also did a write up and video on my thought process and how I went about tackling the challenge.

[HR Consultation Insights - Power BI Challenge #3 Summary]

HR Consultation Insights - Image.JPG

I would love for more of you to get involved in this aspect of the challenge. I know several of you did share some great insights around your development, and it was great to see and very insightful. Please don’t be shy to ask any questions about sharing your thoughts.

“This diversity of thought is what is really going to take our members' analytical abilities and critical thinking to another level.”

Picking the winner seems to be getting harder every week, as we evaluated the entries. And the winner is…… Diana Bello!

PBIC-Certificate.png

Congratulations, Diana. An awesome report that combines substance and style. I know there was some deserved hype around the theme and design of your report. The PowerPoint template is a great way of creating report designs and something I would recommend as an analyst.

c34b69441a4445390e5d04799a2a81c5794ecb5b_2_690x387.png

759b8f4d20983c68108b5c15e4fc645e784f0f99_2_690x387.png

49382c3eab29ac4ade83a34db1cb7824911e780f_2_690x387.png

There were some highly commended efforts from Martin Bubenheimer, Alex Badiu, Greg Philps, Jarret Moore, Michael Sampsonidis.

Martin Bubenheimer Submission

28598e50c10ca4d37fb9751c28aeb51115400138.png

Alex Badiu Submission

9d54c3d392b6cde249f04b8f9b2efbac89bf739f.png

Greg Philps Submission 

6f0792b72529248daa3ac0163c0bce50cecdb227.png

Jarret Moore Submission 

865b65b2102704a30b6a67a904631e45ab3d93be_2_690x377.jpeg

Michael Sampsonidis Submission 

34c4755b1dadd1f0fc5a7ca10d0b7df9f68adc75.png

Honestly, a massive well done to all participants we really enjoyed reviewing your submissions.

Feedback

The scenario this week was all about taking a flat table and then optimizing the data set for reporting and Power BI.

It was great to see how you all identified the dimensions and facts and organized them in your models.

When working in the industry, it's not uncommon that, when you take an extract from source systems, they tend to spit out 1 large table. So, something you will often be required to do is transform this into a model suitable for reporting.

Upon reviewing the submissions, I think there were two main approaches used around the fact table and the dimensions.

Approach 1 was to make the fact as thin as possible and this meant getting all your dates into 1 column and then having an interview number column.

Approach 2 was to keep two interview date columns and then use inactive relationships.

Personally, I would always go for approach 1 and ensure that my fact is as thin as possible and considering the brief having a dimension/attribute for interview number was a plus.

There are pros and cons to both approaches, and you can sometimes be adding in extra complexity where it may not be needed.

There were some great calculations and brownie points for those who assigned a numeric value to the outcomes and created a sentiment score.

The use of visualizations was great and particularly enjoyed the use of stacked column charts showing the outcomes. It was very effective at showing the changes from one interview to the next.

A key for any successful report is to ensure that you have slicers/filters set up to allow the users to change the view.

The key slicers/filters for this report would be the consultation name and interviewer. It’s nice to have others, but I would consider these to be essential. I always like to put myself in the user's shoes when deciding what to have in my filters/slicers.

I know James, the HR manager in the brief, is reviewing consultations, so that’s definitely something he will want to see the data split by and actually reading the brief. It’s members of his team who are conducting the interviews, so I’m sure that will be something that he would want to look at.

I think the final point I will make, and I think many of you missed it, is that there was an opportunity to have an additional KPI which was around the consultation windows. So, how many of the interviews were conducted between the window and how many were conducted outside the window?

So, just want to say a massive well done to everyone who took part in the challenge and producing a great report.

Badge for Socials.png

Conclusion

I promised I would give some insight into the scenarios and as to how we are coming up with them and how relevant they are. I will hopefully do another post covering this in-depth, so watch this space.

Thanks to all who participated. I appreciate the effort you are all putting into this.

Please remember the challenge is all about you guys and helping you in your development. If you have any ideas, concerns, issues or anything else you want to discuss, then don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Feel free to email powerbichallenge@enterprisedna.co for any queries.

Ok, that’s enough from me.

Keep your eyes peeled for challenge 4, which will be released soon.

Sam